Smart Car of America Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
The majority of the vehicles that I have driven since the mid-sixties have been predominantly small, so I thought I would pass on to some of you some of my thoughts, and I believe these suggestions will apply to not only the "gray market" cars but the 2008 ForTwo, and I plan to apply these modifications to my SMART if and when it ever arrives!!:

1. The SMART call is a SMALL car and will be difficult to see by drivers of larger vehicles, and this will be made even more acute in the evening hours. It would be to your advantage to have a bright paint scheme, stay away from black and gray exterior finishes, and constantly monitor your "3" and "6".

2. The OEM horn on the SMART car is worthless. Install either air horns, or perhaps a pair of the HELLA Superhorns - you WILL need to be able to get attention (This suggestion can be deleted for Los Angeles vehicles).

3. I believe the headlights on the SMART car utilize H7 bulbs, and it would be to your advantage to use higher-output bulbs on high beam if at all possible, this is more acute if you live out in the country where deer ar present.

4. The inside rear-view mirror is, for the most part worthless, and you could possibly install a larger mirror that not only feature anti-dimming, but a compass as well. A lot of late-model domestic vehicles feature these mirrors and I acquired one for use in my existing vehicle. These mirrors attach to a "boss" that is attached to the windshield via a special adhesive, but in lieu of that a special support could possibly be fabricated.

·
Registered
1,606 Posts
Good points. Also as we've discussed keeping your onboard running lights ON at least during twilight is recommended. :)

·
Registered
931 Posts
Thanks for the ideas. I'm in agreement on the colors, BUT it seems that the only rear ender that occured during the nation wide road tests happened to the YELLOW vehicle. :eek:

·
Registered
275 Posts
4. The inside rear-view mirror is, for the most part worthless, and you could possibly install a larger mirror that not only feature anti-dimming, but a compass as well. A lot of late-model domestic vehicles feature these mirrors and I acquired one for use in my existing vehicle. These mirrors attach to a "boss" that is attached to the windshield via a special adhesive, but in lieu of that a special support could possibly be fabricated.

I have one of the Mito anti-glare/Auto dimming mirrors on my Miata that I installed myself. My only complaint is that the mirror is actually too big for the car and blocks your field of view every once in a while. This may be the same reason the put such a small mirror on the Smart.

·
Banned
3,834 Posts
There was a problem with the earlier 450's cabin mirror. It was bigger, but it blocked the driver's vision across the diagonal of the "hood." There are kits to shorten the stem and raise it up a little.

I have used Rally's "Wink" multi-panel panoramic mirrors on the racecar to good success, and would look to use one in the smart. See: http://www.rallymfg.com/V1/products.php?&sc=49

1 - 6 of 6 Posts