Smart Car of America Forum banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
It's only been a few days but what I've noticed is while driving the smart I'm very conscious of my speed. It's at the point that I wonder if the speedometer is accurate. My ride to work is on the highway where the limit is 100km/h. I'm now realizing how many people want to drive 120 or more. Even in the slow lane at 120 I have tailgaters.

Speaking of tailgaters, without a back seat and trunk the cars behind seem really close. Perhaps this is an illusion but it seams like intimidation. To the point where others desperately want to pass only to get between you and the car ahead stuck at the same speed as before.

My wife has concluded that the Smart drives the way we all should in the city. Over excited acceleration only to make abrupt stops 2 km ahead is pointless. The Smart re-trains your driving style.

·
Registered
249 Posts
My 2015 451 Brabus is off by 2-4 MPH depending on speed. The higher the speed, the more the speedo is off. I felt it was when peeps were always tailgating when I was going at the posted speed limit or 5 miles above according to the speedo. When I mounted a GPS on a suction cup in the windshield, it confirmed it.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Good point about the GPS. I will set mine soon. If yours was off 4mph then that translates into 7km/h. That would definitely attract tailgaters when driving what you thought was the speed limit.

·
Super Moderator
29,021 Posts
I've driven the 401 enough now to conclude you could be going 120 kph and still get run over. Some people just treat the 100 kph limit as a suggestion. :)

·
Super Moderator
MY08 cabrio MY09 cabrio Brabus MY15 ED
7,782 Posts
Bear in mind that by design, most speedos are off (slow).

This can be further complicated by tire/wheel changes, inflation and wear. It is estimated that over the lifetime of a set of tires, your odometer can vary up to 2% as the tire wears.

The rules vary by country (but not North America?) regarding the error that speedometers are allowed to have. Germany has rather stringent rules on under-reporting, so German (French?) cars can tend to have the most optimistic speedometers.

European law (ECE-R39) says speedometers cannot show speeds less than the actual speed, and they must never show more than the 110 per cent of actual speed plus 4 km/h. So, under those rules, a car could be moving at 100 km/h, but the speedometer could legally display as high as 114 km/h.

So if the driver behind you is "speeding" to offset their own error factor plus the "ticket buffer" you are just in his way? And if we ALL speed up by 5-7 mph to "compensate" what then? :shrug:

NOTE, the odometer is usually more accurate in the miles being reported

An oldie but a goodie from 2002 . . .

Speedometer Scandal! - Feature - Car and Driver

·
Registered
1,594 Posts
I use an app on my iPhone to check speed by GPS and compare it to my speedo reading. Both gen smarts I have owned have been optimistic by the same amount at speed. Interestingly, the speedo on our 2004 RX8, 1999 Jeep Grand Cherokee and my 1990 Benz are spot on at 70 mph. All have original spec tires with half or less wear.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
So my speedo is off.

We what I mean to say is that I used an app to track my speed on my phone. When my speedometer said 120km/hr my app said 111km/hr. That's a considerable amount. No wonder I had tailgaters!

Even at neighborhood speeds it's off to a degree. Right now there is a speed sensing sign set up to make you aware of your actual speed on local streets. This morning as my car read 45km/hr the speed sign clocked me at exactly 40km/hr.

So when all is said and done, I do feel somewhat concerned that my little engine is racing over 3 thousand r p ms at only 111km/hr.

But on the upside my trek to and from work is about 15 mins highway and 15 mins stop and go.

·
Registered
9,052 Posts
...when you guys talk about the speedometer you talking about the big gauge with a white pointer that looks like a needle behind the steering wheel?......

Jetfuel....????

·
Registered
1,209 Posts
While it COULD be caused by a slight variation in actual speed vs. speed shown on speedometer.... I think a lot of it has to do with what we tend to call a "superiority complex", in that people will do ANYTHING to pass "that stupid Smart car". I've been on 4-lane freeways with NOBODY nearby, and someone who's been slowly creeping up behind me will pass me, then move in front of me, only to go the same speed as me. People either just have to have that feeling that their car is better than our car, or they think that somehow being behind us means they'll arrive at their destination HOURS after they would if they were one car further ahead.

Either that or they're just curious and don't only want to stare at my car's awesome looking a**. :)

·
King of Smart Gadgetry
1,075 Posts
When I drive on interstate I have the stereo on and the a/c on with the windows rolled up. I try to appear relaxed and steer with my left hand with my elbow resting on the door. The right hand is always resting on the shifter because I don't have an armrest yet. But people will pull up behind me and tailgate even though I'm doing 75 in a 70 mph zone. It's as if they crowd you from behind to see if my little Fortwo is going to weave and lose control becaue they just know these little cars handle terrible and are a deathtrap ! As they pass I make it a point to steer with one finger and never veer in my lane. I got off interstate the other day and was being tailgated by a lifted Dodge truck. He was right on my bumper. When I turned onto the country road that is narrow and full of turns, I kicked her down and he could not keep up with me in the turns. Our little cars stick to the road like glue and handle like a Porsche even though they are really underpowered. The response and handling is great and right down fun to drive if you want to get that heart racing too ! But I have checked my speedometer with my GPS Garmin and is 3 to 4 mph off at 70 mph. You can also check your speed as you enter a work zone on interstate because they always set up one of those radar signs that shows your speed as you drive by. That's how I verified that it was off. Next set of tires I'm going to go a size bigger and see if I can remedy a little bit of the inaccuracy. DCO

·
Registered
271 Posts
Some people really do drive differently when they end up behind our smart. On a recent drive to the mountains we would come up behind a line of cars, all doing the speed limit up the hill. (In California, if you drive the speed limit you are called a "rolling roadblock". That's me, but it beats looking in my mirror for cops.) Someone would come up behind us and start acting agitated. They would swerve out to look ahead. They could plainly see the many cars ahead, but they would risk life and limb to pass us, sometimes over a double line or with oncoming traffic bearing down. Once ahead of us they would sedately take their place in the line and not try to pass anyone else! This happened more than once. To some the whole thing must be some kind of whizzing contest. Perhaps it's true that the big truck/fast car guys are compensating...

·
King of Smart Gadgetry
1,075 Posts
Sometimes I tell myself, "they just wanted to pass so they could get a look at this little car". How's that for a pompus attitude? When you figure in the bad from other drivers on the road, and then factor in all the good from people coming up to ask questions and see the car, it sort of equalizes things out. You can't please everyone. To deal with it you have to change your perception of the situation so that YOU don't react to bad drivers in a negative manner. If you were driving your Escalade down interstate and someone passed you you probably wouldn't react negatively. But if you drive your Smart and you percieve yourself as a passenger in this VULNERABLE little car, and you get passed, it is probably going to irritate you and then YOU react negatively. It just adds to your driver stress. I'm NOT going to let a stranger trigger a reaction in me. Don't feed into that. Don't fall to their level. Be a cut above. You have the privilege to own and drive a unique boutique car that very few ever have the chance to. And just think if you were driving down the road in a Peel think how small and vulnerable you would feel. DCO

·
Premium Member
11,309 Posts
My feelings is "speed on Brother! Hell is only 1/2 full"... I let the cops sort it out or wave when I pass them at the pumps..

·
Registered
7 Posts
Is anyone still watching this subject? I just got a 2015 smart and notice like someone said in here where at 30mph its about 2mph off, and then at 70mph its about 4 to 5 mph off, so I have to go 75mph to be at 70mph traffic. I dont have cruise control, and called the dealer, and they said its very common and no fix for this issue. I have also used an app to prove this. Has anyone found a fix for this? I wonder if when I get tires someday, if I could get ones to help offset this? The car has 2000 miles on it, and i didnt like the answer, sorry they all do that. If this is the case, when you have 100,000 miles on it, on the odometer, you really would only have like 90,000 on it and worth more, or actually higher resale?

Thanks and any info would be great.

·
Registered
1,594 Posts
Not only do they ALL do that so does just about any other vehicle today. Extremely common for a vehicle to register higher MPH than you are actually traveling. I have a Suzuki Burgman scooter and it registers about 5 MPH higher than actually traveled. Yes, a slightly larger diameter tire will make the MPH more accurate. MPH and miles traveled aren’t the same thing.

·
Registered
922 Posts
Is anyone still watching this subject? I just got a 2015 smart and notice like someone said in here where at 30mph its about 2mph off, and then at 70mph its about 4 to 5 mph off, so I have to go 75mph to be at 70mph traffic. I dont have cruise control, and called the dealer, and they said its very common and no fix for this issue. I have also used an app to prove this. Has anyone found a fix for this? I wonder if when I get tires someday, if I could get ones to help offset this? The car has 2000 miles on it, and i didnt like the answer, sorry they all do that. If this is the case, when you have 100,000 miles on it, on the odometer, you really would only have like 90,000 on it and worth more, or actually higher resale?

Thanks and any info would be great.
While the speedometer is 6-7% optimistic, the odometer is accurate to within 1%. This indicates that the speedometer was deliberate designed to read higher than normal. This was also the case with our BMW 3 series, but all of our other vehicles are dead accurate as far as both the speedometer and odometer. So maybe it is something common to German engineered cars?

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
My phones GPS and the sidewalk mounted community speed readout are all 10% lower than my Speedo. Seems to be a thing with Smarties. As for overall odometer readings and car value, I would imagine that most are in the same boat so it really doesn't matter. If a potential buyer is comparing a Smart to a Paseo then he doesn't realize that there are so many other differences between a Smart and any other car out there that the total number of kms is the least of his worries

·
Premium Member
11,309 Posts
Are you running stock tires and rims? usually the speedometer reads faster than your actual speed with stock tires/rims

·
Registered
113 Posts
People do the same thing to me whether I'm driving the smart or the motorhome. Doesn't matter how fast I'm going people can't stand to be behind the big box or the little one.

1 - 20 of 22 Posts