Smart Car of America Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I hit a curb and busted the right rear tire.( swerved to miss a car that almost sideswiped me) Now when i turn left it feels like the right front is hanging up or rubbing on something. I dont think i hit with the front because the tire and wheel were not damaged just the right rear. I couldnt feel or see anything loose while in the driveway. Ill get it on a lift tomorrow to see if i can find anything.

I did notice a slight noise when pushing down on the right front and can feel it in the frame when rocking or pushing down on the frame next to the windshield. I dont feel or hear it on the driver side.

Any thoughts?

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
The tc light doesnt come on though. I thought it might just be the difference in grip between my old fronts and new rear tires. But, its slightly squirrely when driving also. And it only makes the noise when i do a hard left which loads the right front. Im about to put it on a lift to check around better.

·
Premium Member
7,593 Posts
Are you running tires/rims with OEM stagger or 4 corners equal?

If 4 of the same, swap front and rear and you might be able to eliminate tire/rim?

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Im running 195/50/15 all around. I thought about rotating to see if it was just the grip difference between the old tires and new tires causing an understeer problem. Its a definate tire scrubbing noise so thats a possiblity.

If the shock is blown would that cause it to bottom out on the tire while turning? Everything looks intact on the suspension. I cant take the shock off at the moment to test it.

·
Premium Member
7,593 Posts
Its a definate tire scrubbing noise so thats a possiblity.

If the shock is blown would that cause it to bottom out on the tire while turning?
Scrubbing on the road surface or body/suspension?

Larger tires in the front can rub on the body especially if driving aggressively. Look for areas that might be shiny from tire rub? And air pressure is proper?

While there is not much room for suspension travel, a blown shock (not often a failure point) and body roll could allow bottoming out while turning?

1 - 6 of 6 Posts