Smart Car of America Forum banner
21 - 40 of 42 Posts

·
Registered
1,121 Posts
Hot off of the press!

View attachment 67620

I'll have a report on Tuesday, unless my colleagues beat me to the punch.
The oddest transition in design in the company's history, but at least they're keeping the 2-tone theme.

'Times changed, we haven't' is actually a really good theme to adapt the Smart brand for the future.

Saddest thing? Not getting the car here - our market makes me dislike crossovers more every day.

·
Super Moderator
17,697 Posts
'Times changed, we haven't' is actually a really good theme to adapt the Smart brand for the future.
It's weird that the marketing-speak says that, given its executives confirmed that the new Smart will be premium and less playful. Crossovers, not playful, not even distinctively a Smart (most crossovers have that floating roof)... but it hasn't changed?

I'd just embrace the new identity, like "Smart, all grown up" or something.

Still, I'm happy Smart is still kicking and will definitely import one in 2047. lol

·
Registered
1,467 Posts
It's weird that the marketing-speak says that, given its executives confirmed that the new Smart will be premium and less playful. Crossovers, not playful, not even distinctively a Smart (most crossovers have that floating roof)... but it hasn't changed?

I'd just embrace the new identity, like "Smart, all grown up" or something.

Still, I'm happy Smart is still kicking and will definitely import one in 2047. lol
Being battery powered, will your import be a sled by 2047?

·
Super Moderator
17,697 Posts
Being battery powered, will your import be a sled by 2047?
LOL I hadn't thought about that. Yeah, I'd imagine it probably would be a giant, Smart-badged paperweight.

·
Registered
8,312 Posts
Discussion Starter · #29 · (Edited)
Resembles, a Tesla a little bit. That vehicle still a concept. Really a nice design. Glad smart is getting away from the boxy 453 shape. That body style, has ran it’s course. Its a shame we’ll never see the new crossover here. Wonder what the driving range is estimate.

·
Registered
8,312 Posts
Discussion Starter · #31 ·
I don’t see the resemblance Compared to Mini Countryman. The Countryman probably much larger.

Tire Wheel Car Automotive side marker light Vehicle

·
Super Moderator
17,697 Posts
I don’t see the resemblance Compared to Mini Countryman. The Countryman probably much larger.

View attachment 67644
The Smart SUV is actually less than an inch shorter than a 2022 Countryman. My first thought was also "Mini Countryman," but that's only because of the contrasting floating roof design. The truth is that practically every modern SUV or crossover has a floating roof in some way.

·
Registered
75 Posts
Yes, the floating roof is not a new idea, you can see it here on the UK's Vauxhall Adam and Europe's Opel Adam....Also a lot of car makes here are doing the contrasting roof colour now.

·
Registered
8,312 Posts
Discussion Starter · #36 · (Edited)
Good video. She living in the past. Still has the first Apple iMac in the background. There’s just isn’t any customer loyalty in NA, for the smart car. Not for a $30k EV version. With a limit driving range. Very few dealer to buy one at. Sales numbers died, after the Introduction, of the 453. There are wide open streets here. Lots of parking spots. Where are changing station, in the inter city here. You don’t need a car, if you live in down town Chicago, or New York City.

Our Honda Fit achieves better feel economy, seats 4 people is very comfortable. Packaging is fantastic. My little Fiat, is a blast to drive. The little smart is just cute. All of them now are discontinued, in this country.

Car Wheel Land vehicle Vehicle Tire

I personally believe smart made the right decision. offering a tiny EV crossover. I welcome the little car, if it’s ever offered here. Along with a brand new 500e.

·
Super Moderator
17,697 Posts
Honestly, the problem is not that Smart made an SUV, but it made a boring "premium" SUV. It abandoned its brand identity to chase Chinese buyers.

Remember, this isn't Smart's first rodeo with an SUV. The 2006 Formore was built for the crossover-crazed future without trying to turn Smart into something that it is not. In fact, America wasn't supposed to get the Fortwo, but the Formore. Smart knew that the Fortwo had limited appeal here.

And the only reason it didn't get built is because Smart ran out of money before the factory came online.

Side note: YouTubers and automotive journalists tend to decorate their living spaces with their favorite stuff, some of it retro. It does not necessarily mean that we're living in the past. :) Also, that's an iMac G4, not a first gen.

·
Registered
1,467 Posts
I sales started to plummet after the first two years. By the time the 453 model came around sales were already in the tank.

Penske hands off Smart car distribution to Mercedes as sales continue to nosedive
Updated Jan 21, 2019; Posted Feb 15, 2011

They sold great in the beginning and then the reality of smart ownership set in. Owners did not understand the quirks of the strange transmission. After having V8 v6s and 4 cylinder engines owners were not quite ready for the lack of power from a little 3 cylinder engine coupled with its quirky automated manual, and less-than-stellar gas mileage from $$PREMIUM FUEL$$ (no great savings there) for a car it's size. (In the 90's we had the chevy GEO Metro hatchback. Seating for 4 a/c manual trans. ,3 cyl. And 49mpg from Reg. Fuel.
Coupled with smart's buckboard rough ride. You have the reason why sales fell off.

Yearsold

21 - 40 of 42 Posts