Smart Car of America Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
105 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I was having this issue at two Chargepoint chargers over the summer where they wouldn't kick in a charge. The blue lightning bolt showed up on the display of the station but no current actually went into the car.
Well, I thought it was just the stations having hiccups at times; this didn't occur all the time.
Then for the first time, I noticed something similar at home with my 120v charger.
The blue charging light came on and stayed on, but didn't blink like it usually does when it is charging.

The car didn't show a charge occuring on the display either. But I did hear things click like it usually does when about to start charging.
I don't know what finally gets the car to start charging. At the stations, Chargepoint service reps said to keep trying locking/unlocking doors and opening/closing windows.
That didn't work at the stations.

Not sure if that did the trick at home. I only unlocked/locked the doors, didn't have to roll up the windows again before the car decided to start charging at some point after plugging/unplugging the charging cable.
Something I never noticed before and don't know if it was by accident. At one time, I thought I unlocked the doors but when I checked they were locked.
And then one time I hear the doors autolock. I don't believe my 2014 Smart ED has auto locks.
The pictures I'm posting are of the 120v charger showing a constant blue charging light while not charging the vehicle.
Followed by weird displays on the dash during those failed attempts to charge.
And then lastly, the final picture, the car started charging and showed the actual time it will take to charge.
Are the doors supposed to be locked before charging? I've been able to charge a hundred time before while unlocked. And that doesn't seem to make sense since I have to unlock the doors to open the charge port.

·
Registered
1,058 Posts
The Smart ED charges regardless of whether the doors are locked or not.

In my ED, a malfunction in the SAM unit (the box with the fuses in it under the dash which controls everything accessory-related in the car) caused the car to repeatedly lock and re-lock (never unlock) itself. Thankfully it was still under warranty as a new SAM and reprogramming to work with the remote keys is well over $1k.

·
Registered
76 Posts
I get this on and off a few months now.
Previously was clearing codes etc, now I just pull wire off neg 12v batt, then put back on, starts charging right after I reconnect.
I think a contactor is dieing.
I saw a code in my obd2 reader.

·
Registered
105 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Ok, how about open windows not allowing a charge to begin?

One day I had forgotten that I lowered a window and the car flat out refused to begin charging. Then I closed the window and opened and closed all windows. It started charging on the next attempt.
This was when I notices that the back hatch window latching mechanism was getting stuck and not moving properly.
I greased up the mechanism and now the window closes properly.
I have noticed that I have had no issues with charging sine I corrected the way the rear hatch closes.

Can anyone confirm whether that might have been the culprit?

·
Registered
1,058 Posts
Ok, how about open windows not allowing a charge to begin?

One day I had forgotten that I lowered a window and the car flat out refused to begin charging. Then I closed the window and opened and closed all windows. It started charging on the next attempt.
This was when I notices that the back hatch window latching mechanism was getting stuck and not moving properly.
I greased up the mechanism and now the window closes properly.
I have noticed that I have had no issues with charging sine I corrected the way the rear hatch closes.

Can anyone confirm whether that might have been the culprit?
No. None of those things have anything to do with charging. You are confusing coincidence with causality.

On a lot of 451's, a rubber boot prevented the charger plug latch from engaging (i.e. the button on the plug stays partly depressed) That can prevent charging.

·
Registered
105 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Thanks for the info. I will try to pay more attention to the button position when inserting the plug.

·
Registered
21 Posts
I had the same problem. Turned out I wasn't getting the plug completely into the socket. The latch would click and the dash would light up but no charge. Once I took the time to make sure the plug was lined up correctly I insert it with more force. No problems since.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts