Smart Car of America Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
51 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I want to install the Sony high powered head unit. It's 40 watts x 4. I was wondering if anyone knew if the tiny 90 amp alternator can handle that additional draw?

·
Registered
92 Posts
I currently have:

Sony Head Unit 40 W x 4
Sony 6.5" Coaxial Speakers
Sony 900 W Class D Amp
Sony 12" 1000 W Subwoofer

Mind you those are not RMS. -- I'm revamping my setup from all Sony to all Focal minus the head unit, already got my Eclipse.

I've had this set up for about 4 years and had no problem. So to answer your question, yes.

·
Registered
163 Posts
my current setup :

Kenwood X998 radio
CDT audio ES62IS gold front stage
2x CSS SDX10 subwoofers
Soundstream Harmony DSP
Front speaker amp is a Mosconi AS200.2 (200w rmsx2)
sub amp a jl audio HD1200.1 (1200w RMS)

everything has been working fine so far but i will to some wiring upgrade and maybe a better battery!

·
Registered
92 Posts
my current setup :

Kenwood X998 radio
CDT audio ES62IS gold front stage
2x CSS SDX10 subwoofers
Soundstream Harmony DSP
Front speaker amp is a Mosconi AS200.2 (200w rmsx2)
sub amp a jl audio HD1200.1 (1200w RMS)

everything has been working fine so far but i will to some wiring upgrade and maybe a better battery!
May be add in a capacitor while you're at it as well. -- What AWG are you running your amp with?

·
Registered
163 Posts
May be add in a capacitor while you're at it as well. -- What AWG are you running your amp with?
Im running everything on 4 gauge cable. Next upgrade will be a decent battery and bigger grounds/alternator wiring.. capacitors arent really worth the investment unless you go with those "super capacitors "

·
Registered
375 Posts
I have a complete system in my truck and I replaced the OEM speakers in the smart for 6.5 components. I think the stock radio does just fine with the cheap upgrade in the doors. I thought I was going to do the aftermarket head unit(I did but took it out) and a small amp and JL stealthbox, but I think I'm leaving it the way it is now. Listened to cd today on road trip, has plenty for the small cabin. It's not as good as my truck but it's more than adequate for the smart. Running bass on 4, treb on 1

Sent from AutoGuide.com Free App

1 - 10 of 10 Posts