Smart Car of America Forum banner

1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Premium Member
718 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I purchased my first turbo powered car back in 1978. It was a super Saab 99 Turbo that went well over 200k on the original engine. Back in the day you had to let the turbo cool before shutting down as there were no circulation pumps as today. Since that time I have owned at least one turbo powered auto. Currently I have a 15 Abarth C and a 01 Audi TT 225 roadster.

Since retirement 10 years ago, I have been paying storage fees for the Audi near family in CT while I live in Fl. I used the car during the summer months only and then only when in CT as my wife and I travel the North East in our motorhome during the summer. Each year the price of storage increases while the amount of seat time has declined.

Back in Fl I have both a 2015 Fiat Abarth C (cabrio) and an 08 smart Cabro for top down fun. But neither these are true sports or convertibles. I always have enjoyed knowing that for the summer at least I could drive true top down.

One plan we had involved trading in the Abarth and selling the TT for a new Fiat 124. However after testing a couple of 124s as well as the Abarth model I just couldn’t do it. The 124 is a great roadster don’t get me wrong. But at 68 years old I just couldn’t stand the interior. It’s mostly plastic and has the super UGULY touch screen growing out of the dash. Kind of a new car cancer. The other problem and it is a BIG one for us is there is no receiver hitch available now or looking toward the future. My wife and I use our cars as a motorized bicycle rack to get our bikes to the trail head. We ride about 10K miles/year and live near a wonderful 46 mile rail trail.

So we decided to not store/keep a car in CT since we only there for about 20 days a year. Something has to give. We don’t need to own 3 cars and a motorhome. Our plan is to end up with only two cars one of them being a true roadster. So we will ship the TT to Fl at the end of the summer. We have owned this car for the past 17 years. It was my daily driver all year long while living and working in Maine. It is a little long on tooth. And after having been though several Maine winters less than perfect. But it is a lot of FUN. The Abarth C with only 12k on the clock will be up for sale as well as the TT this fall. In the mean time I found and purchased a mint 08 Audi TT 3.2 roadster ( one of the last models to have a trailer hitch option 2008 to 2010 only).

So so far my plan to get to two cars has temporally added one to the existing mix for a total of 4. Great plan right!.. Anyway back to the post title. The new old TT is a 3.2 V6 model so it doesn’t have a turbo under the hood. So when the 01 TT and 15 Abarth C are sold I will indeed be turbo less.

I do have my eye on a 17 smart cabrio in blue orange (great gator smart for Gainesville Fl) maybe to replace Max my 08.... so turbo less only for a short time.....

·
Registered
922 Posts
Well, you can always put an aftermarket turbo on the 3.2. That same basic block formed the basis for some near-400 HP motors, I believe.

What is it that you like about turbo motors? The shape of the powerband? The rush of power on boost?

1 - 2 of 2 Posts