Smart Car of America Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
2,188 Posts
Factory option, no. Does it exist? Yes, as an aftermarket. Two versions -- do a search for "Area 451" and "MDC" cruise controls. Both have vocal & loyal fans. I think it's been reported that some smart dealers are offering one of these cruise controls as a dealer-installed option, but I'm not certain.

·
Registered
2017 Passion Coupe
3,554 Posts
When I had the opportunity for a free install, i cringed and plunked down the cash. It was more than I felt I really wanted to spend but I ponied up.

I'm so glad I did.

And it wasn't until I helped a friend with the install of her cruise control that I found out what a pleasure it was to do the install myself. There's a bit of pride and bonding with the vehicle through the experience.

·
Registered
1,752 Posts
Area 451 is my choice

Count me as an Area 451 loyalist. We're on our third one (my'08 Passion traded in on my '09 Brabus coupe and my wife's '09 Cabriolet) and I can vouch for the company and the product without reservation. Install can be tedious but the instructions make it so even a klutz like me can get the job done.

Regards,

Dan

·
Premium Member
2,905 Posts
Another Area451 fan, particularly when you add John_H's dash LED kit. Both are easy to install if you can take your time and follow (very clear) instructions.

·
Banned
4,883 Posts
Area 451 for the win here to.... it's paid for itself 10 times over.

·
Registered
322 Posts
Area 451 and smartieparts.com is offering a plug to remap your area451 cruise control to basically do what SmartMadness is selling as a SprintBooster... for like $40 instead of $320+

"This programmer allows you to update your Area 451 Cruise Control to the latest (or alternative) firmware at your convenience - quickly and easily - without having to send your unit out to be programmed.
The standard firmware that comes with the kit is well tested and problem-free, so you don't need this unless you wish to take advantage of new features as they are released. For example, the long anticipated "Pedal Map" feature, which adjusts the apparant responsiveness of your gas pedal thereby making your car feel like it has more power or pep*. Area 451 is initially releasing 16 different maps to try. See this discussion thread for details.
Using the programmer is simple. You just plug the programmer into an available USB slot on your computer, and plug the other end into the cruise control. Download the firmware you want from the Area 451 website, run the software, and within a few seconds your cruise is updated! You can try any given firmware variant and switch back to stock as many times as you want at no additional cost.
* note that pedal mapping, also marketed by other shops with such terms as "sprint" boosting, does not affect the actual performance of your car in any way at all. However, most people that test it are suprised by how much it does feel like there is a positive difference. Pedal mapping is safe for your car, but the change in pedal behavior can potentially be dangerous if the driver isn't used to it. Use of the pedal mapping feature is entirely voluntary, and all risks, damages, liability, and responsibility is hereby waived on behalf of SmartieParts and Area 451 Parts. You use at your own risk!"

·
Vendor
3,686 Posts
We have smart car dealers in Florida, East Coast, West Coast, Southwest and in the Heartland that offer and install the MDC unit that they purchase from us.

We offer the MDC unit, but both the MDC and the 451 are good units. If we can ever answer any questions please feel free to give us a call at 562-981-6800.

·
He's not mine
9,619 Posts
@shadowchameleon: Is there somewhere I can see a description of the various pedal map characteristics?

And, can they be saved locally, or must they be obtained from the site every change? Is reverting to original software yet another download? I gather from the photos that it is necessary to 'open the box' and flip some dip switches.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.