Votes: 2 25.0%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Banned
4,888 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Many in the Oregon and Washington Chapters have experssed a desire to have a forum similar to the PNW chapter. I propose we accomplish that by creating the SOPNWet Car Club (Final name to be determined) on the forum for those of us in the tri-state Chapters; Washington, Idaho, and Oregon, allowing us to post Meets and other interests of the group. What Say Yee!!

·
Banned
4,888 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Only 4 votes...Thought there were more of us? Just kidding guys, the poll will be up for 30 days. At that time we'll see how much interest there is in having a PNW Central Forum. Let your voices be heard!! Vote!!!

·
Registered
3,552 Posts
They want you to think your vote doesn't matter. They want you to buy cars without personality.

Vote the way We want you to vote.

·
Banned
4,244 Posts
We talked about forming a club in September. Here are some of the comments from that discussion.

I like the participation we have gotten from the PNW Chapter. The barrier is the distances folks will have to travel getting to meet sites. I guess local meets could still happen under the Chapter organization and with Chapter support but this would mean rules and guidelines for organization, dues, volunteerism, etc. I think it would be great to find a charity to support with our meets!! This means tons of work, more than just promoting a meet or rally and getting people excited about attending. There are communication issues, a web site to manage, a bank account and Chapter monies to account for and allocate, membership drives, and I'm sure I am forgettting alot of other issues we will have to resolve.
Dunerunner - it sounds like a lot of work. are you sure you're up for the challenge? We could have co-presidents - you and Hedders (2 retired guys) And add bigcritter and SmartforTimo you've got an amazing 4-way. :)

I'd be happy to help out, but I can't lead the effort.
We could always troll along like we have been, organizing a meet here and a rally there to see if the rest of the group is interested in attending these events. My experience is that as soon as dues and meetings are imposed, the club falls apart and ceases to be fun. I had hoped the PNW Chapter would start in Seattle or Portland. Many of the areas around those metros are too small to support local clubs.
I like the trolling along unclub idea. That is what my Friday breakfasts are all about. Just a bunch of folks interested in the same thing (traditional hot rods) and hanging out with no rules. Rules, dues, meetings are boring for me. I saw a thread the other day where a fella wanted to start a national club-he even wrote Penske and Dave S. a letter. His whole premise was that Harley did it with Hog, so we should do it. What he missed is the fact that Harley was formed in 1903 and Hog didn't come along until the late 80's. Each Hog chapter is franchised by a dealer. Heavy National and local dues. Total rip off from where I stand. With this instant messaging that we have who needs meetings- except for occasional companionship, and to show off our cars to each other. I have alot more hub cap options to explore. Heh! Heh! Heh!
If we do Prosser next year I can see twice as many participants just because more people will have cars. It goes on and on. Just my 2 cents worth.
See complete discussion in this thread (for context)
http://www.smartcarofamerica.com/forums/f45/scenic-drive-pacific-northwest-9381/

So, I'm not sure if the tides have changed, but at that time it seemed that everybody who was interested enough to comment about it didn't want an organized club.

I think in order to make a club work, we need a core group of energetic, enthusiastic folks with the time and interest to work on it. I haven't seen much of that coming from the Portland Metro area - yet. I don't really know what else we (as SCOA) can do to generate club interest locally.

·
Registered
295 Posts
I think its a great name!
I lived most of my life in Western WA and it is always soPNWet.
I now live in So Cal in the IE (Inland Empire) our club name is iesmartIEs.

Stay Dry!

smartiePrincess :smartje.rd.zw:

·
Banned
4,244 Posts
I think its a great name!
I lived most of my life in Western WA and it is always soPNWet.
I now live in So Cal in the IE (Inland Empire) our club name is iesmartIEs.

Stay Dry!

smartiePrincess :smartje.rd.zw:
Thanks for the encouragement, sis. I'm just feeling an early bout of SADs. :(. But we're expecting a dry weekend, that'll help! :)

How's your club organization going? Any advice for us newbies?

·
Banned
4,888 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
And all this time, I thought it was Smart Owners Pacific NorthWest! I havent changed my mind about our organizational structure, I just miss having one place to post events and having one area of the forum for the PNW Group we've Rallyed with.

·
Banned
4,888 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
You know, we could always start posting to the West Coast Region like we did to PNW. Lord knows those posts would be visable to everyone, in one place. No Club, what do you think?

·
Banned
4,244 Posts
You know, we could always start posting to the West Coast Region like we did to PNW. Lord knows those posts would be visable to everyone, in one place. No Club, what do you think?
I'm starting to favor the club idea. But loosely structured, no dues and so forth. It seems that's how many are getting started.

If we had a SCOA club, we would have a forum to ourselves and it would be self moderated by the club rep.

Anyway, no real rush to make a decision, but a good topic and this thread is a way to flush out ideas.

:)

·
Banned
4,888 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
I totally agree on the No Rush thing. I would rather everyone voice their opinion and come to agreement as a group as to what we want to do. Great input Suze!!

·
Registered
2,004 Posts
My $0.02

BTW... I agree that the club would be a good thing, loosely organized at least to begin.

I voted in the poll but wanted to punch that up a bit-- having the club for those that want to organize and meet on a continuing basis would be a great thing, yes?

·
Banned
4,888 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
No problem Suze...I'll make the announcements and get the word out about the Club! Now we need a Logo and some Club Jackets..T-Shirts just wont work up here!!

·
Registered
2,004 Posts
Another big YAY for Suze! ;^)

Great news!

Very exciting, well for four anyway :cool:

Where do we start... oh yeah, prolly money. Do I make my check out to Suze or Scott :D

Duner, you thinking a cozy embroidered jacket like so (this one's a Columbia) ... well w/ a SOPNWet logo tbd...

Cheers,
T

1 - 20 of 20 Posts