Smart Car of America Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
The smart car I got from my uncle has a few little issues, one being that there is an issue with the Bluetooth button. You'll be driving along and I hear a beep and the sound on the radio shuts off for a few seconds and comes back. If you tap the button it usually works again as well. I was told the button sticks. Is there a way to replace the button or does anyone have an idea on how to fix this? I haven't messed with the Bluetooth yet but would like to! That would be a beneficial feature for me.

·
Registered
3,394 Posts
What year is your smart?

Is it the factory nav w/ bluetooth or an aftermarket unit?

A pic of the unit would help us to ID?

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Oh yeah! That info would be helpful! It's a 2008 with stock radio. It was upgraded to the premium one so an under the seat sub from smart madness could be added. No nav though.

·
Premium Member
5,764 Posts
Where is this blue tooth button you are speaking of? My 09 has the premium sound, Radio 10 with sub woofer, but no blue tooth button, or nav either. smart minds want to know? :D
There was a rather expensive iphone kit that was available. Maybe you have that?

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
It's a little button with a phone on it, I was told I could pair it with my phone and use Bluetooth. I haven't seen it on my uncles new smart car either which is a loaded 2008. It is on the dash, right in front of the cubby on the right side of the steering wheel, and there is a microphone on top of the steering column. It is a flush mounted button with a silver ring, looks stock but maybe not?

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Okay, I went out to the garage and snapped a couple of pics. Here is the button and what appears to be the microphone. Also, notice the dirt on my dash? Does anyone have a tip for cleaning that??

·
Registered
3,394 Posts
As suspected, that is an aftermarket addition.
(Very cleanly done, I might add)

You would have to refer to the manual for that particular device (and possibly trace the wiring) to see what the problem is?

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
As suspected, that is an aftermarket addition.
(Very cleanly done, I might add)

You would have to refer to the manual for that particular device (and possibly trace the wiring) to see what the problem is?
Ahhhhh okay! Thank you. I will look at the receipts and stuff but I couldn't find anything on it in the car. It is very clean! We all assumed it was stock! I'll trace the wiring and see if I can find a name or something to look it up. Thank you for your help!

·
Registered
1,135 Posts
The radio 10 had a second AUX-IN in the connectors in the back. They probably connected through that, and any audio signal coming in would override the stereo while it was in operation. (This is different than the AUX-IN in the glove box, which did NOT override.) I used this for a similar purpose on my 2008 but had similar issues. I eventually replaced the whole head unit with a nice cheap all-in-one that did NAV and Bluetooth.

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
The radio 10 had a second AUX-IN in the connectors in the back. They probably connected through that, and any audio signal coming in would override the stereo while it was in operation. (This is different than the AUX-IN in the glove box, which did NOT override.) I used this for a similar purpose on my 2008 but had similar issues. I eventually replaced the whole head unit with a nice cheap all-in-one that did NAV and Bluetooth.
Thank you for this info! That is very helpful! I will eventually be swapping the head unit out and adding a bigger sub, so I will probably go the same route.

Thanks!

1 - 14 of 14 Posts