Smart Car of America Forum banner

1 - 20 of 80 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So I'm just about due for my first year maintenance service and having read through the other posts on this forum, the story I've seen is that the battery needs to be drained and then recharged to determine the capacity for it for the Battery assurance plus program. However, my dealership is telling me that the maintenance shouldn't take more than an hour and when I mentioned the above detailed, they were clueless to it and just kept saying that they're going to do everything they're supposed to, but it should still take an hour. I don't have the best track record of getting accurate info from my dealership, it was a nightmare of inaccurate information when I was getting my smart ED leased (Beshoff Motors/Mercedes Benz San Jose). So naturally, I have a small amount of distrust on what they tell me, so I'm kind of stuck on what to do. I even reached out to Smart USA via twitter and they sent me over a maintenance manual which included a checklist on what should be done for each milestone (I'll be happy to share it if anyone needs it), but it doesn't have any mention of the battery draining that other owners have done; the only thing about the battery was something about doing a "STAR diagnosis". I don't know how to proceed and would very much like some advice on what to do; the second closest dealership is too far for me to go to, so trying to go to a different location isn't an option unfortunately..

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Do you own or lease this car?
I am leasing both the car and the battery. I feel like I'm not getting the range that a lot of people post on here, which is why I want to make sure I get an accurate check on my battery health when I take it to maintenance.

·
Registered
832 Posts
They only need to drain and recharge the battery if you didn't discharge below 40% in the past month or so.

If you did, (and you can easily do that before the visit), all they need to do is connect their Star machine and push a few buttons. Takes seconds, not hours. It's free if you have BAP (leased battery or leased vehicle).
"Star" is the MB-name for their OBD computer diagnostics system.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
They only need to drain and recharge the battery if you didn't discharge below 40% in the past month or so.

If you did, (and you can easily do that before the visit), all they need to do is connect their Star machine and push a few buttons. Takes seconds, not hours. It's free if you have BAP (leased battery or leased vehicle).
Ah, that makes a little more sense.
1) When I receive an invoice for what maintenance has been done, should I expect to see a number stating my battery's health (e.g. "capacity: 95%"? Or is it going to be less straightforward than that?
2) Will I need to go below 40%, then recharge fully, then take it to the dealership? Or is it okay if I arrive at the dealership with less than 40% left?

·
Registered
56 Posts
I have a copy of the MB preinspection procedures. Unfortunately I have not been able to post them here because the one page pdf file is too large. Please email me if you would like a copy. Maybe some here knows how to post them.

·
Super Moderator
1,494 Posts

Please clarify leased vs. owned. Is the battery test the same on leased vs. owned, but the owned battery test must be paid for by the owner? Is this battery test required for the owned battery to retain the 4 year warranty?

Thanks.

Len
2014 EV

·
Premium Member
MY08 cabrio MY09 cabrio Brabus MY15 ED
7,707 Posts
Please clarify leased vs. owned. Is this battery test required for the owned battery to retain the 4 year warranty?
Since getting a definitive answer from your "nearest" smart Center may be difficult here is my SWAG...

Owned - it's a very expensive component but it's yours. If you are a gambler, no battery test required but that could put you "at risk" should you have warranty/performance issues within the next 4 years?

Leased - the battery pack is owned by M-B and their BAP lease has specific language regarding ANNUAL testing and maintenance requirements. BAP does allow for a 10 year warranty.

Note, because EV's rules may be regulated regionally the warranty (length and such) may be different than written depending on CARB State or Country juristriction?

As for cost, an owner will likely pay more than the BAP customer as the cost to "maintain" the M-B battery is baked into the monthly lease.

·
Registered
465 Posts
For the battery health, just ask for the battery status report. It will have a line item that reads: "Capacity at last measurement". In the column next to it you will see a value in Ah (Amp-hours). 52Ah is nominal when new. At my last service at 40,900kms the capacity read 52.6Ah.

Don't worry about discharging, then charging back up, just take it in.

Range depends on driving habits, ambient temperatures, and the number of accessories being used. My wife consistently gets 30 - 40% less range than I do.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
For the battery health, just ask for the battery status report. It will have a line item that reads: "Capacity at last measurement". In the column next to it you will see a value in Ah (Amp-hours). 52Ah is nominal when new. At my last service at 40,900kms the capacity read 52.6Ah.

Don't worry about discharging, then charging back up, just take it in.

Range depends on driving habits, ambient temperatures, and the number of accessories being used. My wife consistently gets 30 - 40% less range than I do.
Thank you. I'll be sure to look out for that and make sure I can see that number. By "52Ah is nominal when new", you meant I should be seeing a much higher number (I've driven just under 5000 miles)?

·
Registered
521 Posts
Just take it in.

DO NOT drain the battery. There's no reason to. I did that and they didnt charge it back up and I had to wait for 2 hours to have enough range to make it back home and they said that I didn't have to drain it.

Leave on a full charge, you'll be glad you did.

·
Registered
44 Posts
I'm guessing no one has ever had this communicated when booking a service?

Important information for customer communication:
The customer must be notified when agreeing on an appointment, i e. before the workshop date, that he must perform the following step before the maintenance service, insofar as this is not part of the customer's normal driving cycle:

Drive vehicle (discharge) to < 40 % SOC (see left-hand round "SOC" dial on instrument panel).
Leave vehicle parked for approx 2 hours (no driving, no charging)
After this idle period of approx 2 h connect the charging cable,and fully charge the vehicle to 100 % SOC

The vehicle can then be operated normally again
By discharging to < 40 % SOC, having an idle period and then the renewed charging process, the high-voltage battery undergoes a capacity test. The test result is then read out during maintenance. This cycle must be run through once, 3 weeks before the maintenance service. If, by contrast, the vehicle is only ever driven when in the high SOC range, this test cannot be successfully undertaken.

·
Premium Member
7,707 Posts
Sounds like your smart Center is being rather unreasonable?

While I have heard the request that the battery SOC be drawn down to <40% in advance of service, all this other minutae seems like quite a burden to be placed on the customer?

·
Super Moderator
1,494 Posts
Sounds like your smart Center is being rather unreasonable?

While I have heard the request that the battery SOC be drawn down to <40% in advance of service, all this other minutae seems like quite a burden to be placed on the customer?
I feel exactly the opposite. I am thrilled to finally see in print what is needed to perform the battery test, assuming the US requirements are the same. I assume that your dealer can go through this procedure, but it could take more than a day to get it done. I'd much rather have the procedure done on my own, take my car in and be done in a half an hour or so. It sure doesn't appear to be something difficult to do.

Len
2014 EV

·
Premium Member
7,707 Posts
No one has posted that the battery pack service took "more than a day" for lack of proper owner prep?

One owner did me mention that going in with SOC at <40% did require a LENGTHY recharge to get back home.

Sorry but I see no reason to take maintenance prep "orders" from a "low maintenance" EV?

Apparently didn't get the BAP User Manual wherein this "requirement" is explained?

1 - 20 of 80 Posts