Smart Car of America Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
107 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Water wings.. Yeah, that's the ticket! Or maybe a set of oars.

And surprisingly, the car did stay dry inside and just putt-putted away down the road. I tapped the brakes a couple of times and they were fine.

·
Registered
350 Posts
As I was looking at the photo, I am thinking these cars probably do better at not stalling in water that deep. Notice that your front end is pushing the water out of the way and your engine area is still somewhat dry. A front engine car might have stalled already.

·
Registered
968 Posts
I had something close to that Wednesday night. I hit about 4"-6" of water. On the freeway. Did I mention the night part? Interstate 5. About 60 mph. That is how much I think I had slowed down to when I saw the water. Acted like a speed brake and slowed me down to about 20 mph. Momentum carried me across - or the hydroplaning. I let off the brakes and hit the throttle. I wasn't sure if the next car following me would not like a car in front of them only going 20 mph. The van in the lane next to me didn't seem to slow down as much.
Then I un-clenched.:eek:

·
Super Moderator
28,527 Posts
As I was looking at the photo, I am thinking these cars probably do better at not stalling in water that deep. Notice that your front end is pushing the water out of the way and your engine area is still somewhat dry. A front engine car might have stalled already.
It helps to have the raised air intake; as long as the exhaust pipe isn't covered the car should do OK. :)

·
Registered
107 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
It helps to have the raised air intake; as long as the exhaust pipe isn't covered the car should do OK. :)
I'd have to say it was briefly covered. I have a custom center mounted dual exhaust. Looking at the picture, it's where the high point of the water under the bumper is.

I'll bet any longer than the time it took to get through would have caused a stall.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts