Smart Car of America Forum banner

1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
968 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
I will be leaving from San Diego, CA on Sunday morning for Denver. I will join up with the Socal smarties near Barstow.
I am an active ham radio operator and will be transmitting my location on:
APRS.fi
I will be using one system which automatically transmits every two minutes using the name - smart . When you bring up the APRS.fi site, you will see a search box in the top right of the screen. Type smart in the box and click "search". There should come up three smarts. The second and third ones are not in the United Staes. I should be the top one. I did the same thing back when I drove to Kansas City and posted pictures here of my days travels. This will be a great way to track the SoCal smarties caravan across CA, NV, AZ, UT and CO. If you click on the car symbol, it will bring up how fast I am going, altitude and heading.
The second system is a newer technology. Dstar radio. It also transmits my location, but only if I key the microphone. That will also show up on APRS.fi, but under KE6VUP-6. Dstar lets you connect repeaters with the internet and talk to a user literally anywhere in the world.
There are a lot more regular repeaters (smart) than the Dstar system (KE6Vup-6) has. I have a friend who is going to be following me along and trying to talk to me as I go along. Anyone who is familiar with Dstar and has a ham radio license and a Dstar radio (or a DV dongle, don't ask why it is named that) can try can try to call me too.
I will be easy to spot as there are two 3' tall antennas on the car. Kind of hard to have a ground plane (ham radio term - helps with reaching longer distances) with a convertible soft top, but it works...okay.:wink:

·
Registered
968 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
The madness that is Vegas. Traffic started around Baker - 15 south - 4th of July weekend. We are northbound, no problem. And the traffic is backed up to Jean, NV from Primm.
But then there is Primm, NV.
Everyone and their mother is trying to get gas and only one station is open. Reminds me of the mid-seventies with the gas shortage. Everyone trying to get gas to get home. So we left and went 12 miles further to Jean, NV. Shorter lines but I think they were price gouging. $4.479 for Premium!:eek: I paid $4.15 for Premium in San Diego this morning. Supposed to be cheaper in NV.
The pictures above were taken just outside Mesquite - where they charge you $5.99 an hour for internet at the Casablanca. Droids have hot spots!

Tomorrow will be another long day, but no temps above 100. Then we get to have some fun on Tuesday

·
Registered
968 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Our trip through Arches National Park:

We took the scenic way back from Moab on 128 along the Colorado River.
The Cisco Highway goes from 128 back up to I-70.
It has no center or edge lines and passes through the falling apart town of Cisco, UT.

·
Registered
968 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Then we went through the Colorado National Monument park. And when they named the road "RimRock", they meant it.

·
He's not mine
9,613 Posts
The pictures above were taken just outside Mesquite - where they charge you $5.99 an hour for internet at the Casablanca. Droids have hot spots!
WiFi at this pricey 4 star is $10.95/24 hours. No microwave nor microfridge, unless you request them and they have them available. I got lucky.

Watching your progress. Looks like you have stopped with about 240 miles to go? ETA?

·
Registered
968 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
WiFi at this pricey 4 star is $10.95/24 hours. No microwave nor microfridge, unless you request them and they have them available. I got lucky.

Watching your progress. Looks like you have stopped with about 240 miles to go? ETA?
We are meeting Russ and some other smarts on this side of Loveland Pass on old route 6 and then we will drive up to the pass for a photo shoot and then on into Denver tomorrow.

·
He's not mine
9,613 Posts
We are meeting Russ and some other smarts on this side of Loveland Pass on old route 6 and then we will drive up to the pass for a photo shoot and then on into Denver tomorrow.
I'll be with that welcome committee ... if I can drag my sleepy butt out of bed in time to do it.

I don't have anything as nifty as yours. But, I'm making my first attempt at a travelogue here.

·
Registered
968 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
Today's run. Met Russ and 10 other smarts and the 18 of us drove over Loveland pass and then into Georgetown. Then we went to the hotel.

1 - 20 of 27 Posts