Smart Car of America Forum banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
71 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Just got a 2011 For2 Cabriolet today. Now I'm finding out there's no spare tire. Should I be upset about it? Come to think of it, I don't think I've had the spare off any of my cars/trucks in years.

·
He's not mine
9,607 Posts
Why would you be upset? The smart, like a number of other current cars, does not have a spare.

Congratulations on the new ride. Hope you enjoy it!

·
Registered
71 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Last flat we had (I was absent) was in our motorhome. Blew out one of the rear tires. Would have been big trouble if it had been a front. New tires for it cost about a third of the Smart, but they displace about the same amount of space!

·
Premium Member
5,764 Posts
The included air pump has been very handy. Never needed a spare. I've had several nails and a bolt, and a cut across the tread all the way to the cords, but never a blow out or a tire that couldn't be pumped up enough to make it to the tire place or Walmart for a patch. Walmart treated the wheel better and with greater care than the big tire place that stripped the paint off a repaired rim. The upfront sales guys were respectful but the monkeys in the back doing the work, not so much. The guys at Walmart were great. Surprise, surprise.
You do know where to find the air pump? It is up on the shelf in front of the passenger footwell after you pull the carpet back. You don't need to expose the battery. It is on top of the styrofoam foot rest. Just in case you weren't shown.

·
Registered
2,653 Posts
NONE of the cars on my driveway, 2 smarts and a Subaru XV Hybrid, come with a spare tire

You could get a steel wheel and tire, and a jack setup in the car like so many of us have done.

·
Registered
1,285 Posts
We had a blowout in our first year of ownership, in 2007, then a flat caused by sidewall damage just recently. We keep a front wheel/tire spare & tools behind the seat, plus a used rear rim at home in the closet. Otherwise, be prepared for long waits to find a tire or rim, especially on a weekend.

·
Registered
763 Posts
Just got a 2011 For2 Cabriolet today. Now I'm finding out there's no spare tire. Should I be upset about it? Come to think of it, I don't think I've had the spare off any of my cars/trucks in years.
I think you answered your own question.
We just drove the smart from Cleveland to New Jersey, ran around New Jersey, and drove back. No spare and no problem. Of course, we could have been tempting the fates, but the tires aren't new and we were fine. I did watch for things like pieces of retread on the road (road gators) which may have some steel belts in them. And there was that piece of metal that came off of someone's car or truck that caused us all to brake hard and take evasive action. So, we avoided some of the bigger hazards.

·
Registered
2,232 Posts
If you're paranoid like me, you can pick up a spare tire and carry it in the trunk area. I've had my smart fortwo and never needed it, but one day .... you never know.

Bob Diaz

·
Registered
465 Posts
Over the weekend I picked up a spare steel wheel and tire and a jack from another member here. I normally carry a tire plug kit and the car has a compressor.
My feeling is that if I have a flat on my commute I just call the wife or son and have them bring me the spare from home. I only have a 20 mile commute. On long trips I'll carry it with me.
I intend to make up a spare tire carrier for the trailer hitch.

But so far I've got a year and a half with no problems including a 1,400 mile road trip.

·
Registered
3,394 Posts
I take my fair share of long distance (300+ miles) trips in my smart.

I decided early on to carry a spare, jack and lug wrench "just in case".

BUT, that takes away luggage space in my trunk (I am 6'8" so I can't put it behind my driver's seat)

SO, in 2011 I got an Add-A-Spare from our friend Ford Bevins.
Home

Now I have the peace of mind of a spare, and full luggage space available.

·
Registered
6,848 Posts
Once you have a couple flats. Then you can get upset. The first one we had, was in the middle of the night, during the winter. 2 in the morning. We air it up, using the silly pump that came with the car. We were able to get home. I have a air compressor in the garage, the tire was very low again when we got home. Fill it up the next morning, made to the dealer, for a new tire the next day. I now have at Pure front steel wheel/tire and jack kit.

·
Registered
4,220 Posts
Once you have a couple flats. Then you can get upset. The first one we had, was in the middle of the night, during the winter. 2 in the morning. We air it up, using the silly pump that came with the car. We were able to get home....

From the sound of it, the "silly" pump got you home. I'd give the pump some more respect, it did what it was supposed to do. :cheers:

I don't carry a spare. One time I use the air pump to fill a flat that could get me to a tire shop. They plugged it, and I was home with a 30 minute delay in my commute. I call that excellent considering I never needed a spare tire.

·
Registered
81 Posts
My daughter and I have Smarts. She an 08, I have a 2013. I bought a spare front from the dealer when I bought my Smart. My daughter had a blow out along with 4 other cars on the Freeway in north Atl. I brought the spare up and changed it on the side, in the rain,... We are both going to the Tail of the Dragon next month. She will carry the Spare tire...I will carry my brother.... :)

·
Registered
3,588 Posts
Risk of flats depends upon where you live or drive. No frost = few pot holes. Less industry = less road debris.

Here in Michigan we have had two unrepairable flats on our Smartie. Wheels killed both times as well. One hi-speed freeway, one hidden pot hole.

From the day of purchase we have carried a spare, and it saved us both times.

Tires are more available now, but you may still have a tough time finding them while out in the boonies. Replacing a wheel will be a real challenge. A2Jack.

·
Registered
2,040 Posts
Love having it on my fiat! Hated not having one on my smart , after my last flat and having to wait 7 days for a tire, decided to get another car...

·
Registered
6,848 Posts
From the sound of it, the "silly" pump got you home. I'd give the pump some more respect, it did what it was supposed to do. :cheers:

It did get us home. Not fun screwing with it, retrieving it, under the carpet, when it's 10 degrees outside. 2 in the morning. Reading the direction. I miss glove box lamps.

I love the spare tires in the Fit, and 500. Drop the flat tire off to the tire store to be fixed, then off to Panera, for Danish.:)

Our family, must be a magnet to flat tires in the last 2 years. 2 of them with the Fit, and and one with the 500. At least the Fit spare, is inside the car. The 500, is like a pickup truck,or mini van. Under the rear. Dirty little booger. We use to never, have flats.

The last flat, in the smart, would have left us stranded. Glad we had the spare. Puncture, in the side wall. No silly little compressor, would help us.

It going come down to it. No spare, for better gas milage, in the future

·
Registered
71 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
You could get a steel wheel and tire, and a jack setup in the car like so many of us have done.
I have found no one that sells a regular steel wheel for the Smart. Closest dealer is about 200 miles away. Yes I pretty much new that before I bought it.

If found, what's a good size to buy that will work on the back and front?

1 - 20 of 23 Posts