Smart Car of America Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Ex Admin/mod.
9,491 Posts
Like it never rains when we carry an umbrella, I haven't had a flat since I bought a second hand front wheel (rim & slightly used tire) and jack set... It wouldn't be used for a long trip, just until the next place that can fix the flat, if.

Of course, I'm now jinxed! :puppy_dog_eyes:

·
Registered
329 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Same here, never had the cause to use it either. But according to the above post there is a huge reaction from the start. Why? They are the same diameters. Should be able to put the fronts on the rear if you wanted to.

·
Registered
2,536 Posts
Tire pressure is likely the main issue with putting a front on the rear, the rear is likely going to need to be inflated closer to 40 psi. If you knock 10 lbs of air out of one of your rear wheels the TC and ESP will likely act up as well.

·
Registered
738 Posts
Like it never rains when we carry an umbrella, I haven't had a flat since I bought a second hand front wheel (rim & slightly used tire) and jack set... It wouldn't be used for a long trip, just until the next place that can fix the flat, if.

Of course, I'm now jinxed! :puppy_dog_eyes:
Yes, happened to me late last year. Had been carrying a spare for my daily commute for years, never had to use it. A week before Thanksgiving, cleaned up car, removed 'spare tire', jack and breakerbar, forgot about them and walla, a nail in the rear tire on the last commute before Thanksgiving break!

·
Ex Admin/mod.
9,491 Posts
Tire pressure is likely the main issue with putting a front on the rear, the rear is likely going to need to be inflated closer to 40 psi. If you knock 10 lbs of air out of one of your rear wheels the TC and ESP will likely act up as well.
That's what the compressor is for: adjust the pressure to what's needed whenever... :wink:

·
Registered
329 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Sooo, I guess there isn't anyone who has actually used the spare on the rear then? As i said above, my stockers are the same diameter, and smart themselves sold me that rim billed as the spare tire kit. What else could have been wrong with that posters car? Maybe his tires are not the same diameter?

·
Registered
3,394 Posts
I started out with a "front" spare for the first 4.5 years.

NEVER HAD TO USE IT.

Then changed to rear rims and tires on all 4 corners (and a "front" spare) for about a year. Again, NEVER HAD TO USE IT.

Now I run rear rims on all 4 corners and have a rear spare (Running 175/55R15 on all 5) and NEVER HAD TO USE the spare?

I like the insurance that it's there IF/WHEN I need it. And I know that I can jack up the car and change the tire in less time than it would take AAA to get there (20 min MAX)?

·
Premium Member
7,593 Posts
Sooo, I guess there isn't anyone who has actually used the spare on the rear then?

What else could have been wrong with that posters car? Maybe his tires are not the same diameter?
Who knows? Remember as with most things smart, YMMV?

stressed member, your name seems most appropriate. :D

I run 4 OEM rears on all corners and carry a front as a spare when taking road trips. While I have never had an emergency that required mounting one odd among three of equal size, weight and diameter I do expect that the computer may not like it?

But then again this is a temporary fix to get me safely down the road and doubt that I would drive faster than 55 mph especially if the roads were crowned and curvey, not unlike the precautions suggested when running a temporary donut spare.

As others have pointed out, negative ESP response to the mismatch could likely be minimized by adjustments to tire pressures?

Sent from AutoGuide.com Free App

·
Registered
199 Posts
Yes I used it, but they were home!

I posted in the safety/accident section in May about my blackout while driving. I have four rears on my Smartie, the two front tinys are in the cellar. Pertaining to your question, yes I had to use both tiny spares and was SO lucky I had them. It prevented the car from getting flat bedded.
Because I crossed the road and drove into the curb/guardrail with the drivers side, it took big chunks out of the side wall (front and rear fenders too). So the fix flat system was not of any value. I had just done the front 'rears' a few weeks earlier, rims and tires. So it cost me $800 to switch to all rears, then a few weeks later another $800 replace it again!
I dont carry any spare, but my driving is local. But that was a PITA too. I was in hospital, so my buddy had to run home, grab the two tires, rush back to the scene and did all the work for me. The police were holding the 'gun' threatening to tow it 'within the hour' if it wasnt done fast.
You/I could say that if you traveled, carry a spare. But what if 2 go like me? Much higher odds that picking up a nail in just one tire, but ya never know.

·
Registered
329 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
MBDNA, so you never actually used it either? The 4 stock tires on my car are of equal diameters,what will the computer notice? Ah, I'm sure my nail will come...

·
Premium Member
7,593 Posts
NEVER! Computer may pick up the difference in weight and rolling radius or circumference between rears on three corners and the smaller, lighter (front) spare?

My first line of defense is slime/air pump, AAA card in my wallet followed by the (front) spare behind the driver.

Sent from AutoGuide.com Free App

·
Registered
199 Posts
"Chicopee , You had a mismatch in spades, what did it drive like?"
Not sure why your question was in the email, yet not on the forum, but.....
It actually wasnt mismatched. My buddy was great! He took the front right off and put it on the left rear and installed the two tiny fronts back on the front where they came from! Thats a friend! Plus the fact it was only driven home and parked. I was able to procure all my parts in about four days. Now my two fronts are happily back in the warm cellar! :)

1 - 13 of 13 Posts