Smart Car of America Forum banner

1 - 20 of 33 Posts

·
17,372 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So, it's time for me to try my hand at doing my own services!

As I type, the oil is draining out of the back of Tucker. Self oil changing is more fun than I thought it would be!

However, being my 30k service (I got my 20k late) I'm also changing the spark plugs, here's where things go wacko.

- Autozone doesn't have any in stock and cannot order them. It's unknown when they'll be in stock...If ever...
- CarQuest doesn't have them, but can order them.
- Advance Auto Parts has them for order for $8 each plus $7 shipping each.
- O'Reily has them for $7 each and can get them in stock on Thursday.
- NAPA has them for $5.50 each and will have them in stock by Tuesday.

So, seeing as I can't get any right away, I decided to see if my dealer had any.

They have a plethora of them...for $19 each...

Why on Earth would I pay nearly four times the regular price??? And we wonder why smart centers are closing.

Future DIY-ers, avoid the dealer at ALL costs!!! :eek:

·
Premium Member
7,615 Posts
ECON 101, supply and demand.

Little inventory readily available for an item for which there is not much demand.

Looking for instant gratification? Your local smart Center will gladly take your $60 but hey, the lattes and snacks are FREE.

·
Registered
1,285 Posts
Did you seem to be having any trouble with your original plugs? If not, why change them? Ours have been in our smart since it was built in 2006 and in our Pathfinder since 1999. Both run perfectly.

·
To the XCAPEPOD!
6,091 Posts
Ordered my last set of NGKs from Amazon, but that doesn't help if you need them now. I have a set of Iridiums with 25K on them if someone wants to pay for shipping.

·
17,372 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Ordered my last set of NGKs from Amazon, but that doesn't help if you need them now. I have a set of Iridiums with 25K on them if someone wants to pay for shipping.
I don't need them right at this moment. :)

I have this weird OCD-like thing where if I have my mind set on completing a project, I want it done as soon as I could possibly get it done.

I definitely wasn't willing to drive 50 miles out to my dealer just so they can empty my pockets forcing me to pay 4x the price for OEM Densos that I could get for $5.45 at NAPA.

However, I was wanting to upgrade to Iridiums and was originally going to wait until my 60k service, but I would LOVE to take yours off your hands for you! :D

Even though I love SmartMadness to death, I can build my own service kit and find all the necessary parts for cheaper than they sell them for. :)

And that's not ragging on SM. I understand that they have to make a profit too. And FWIW they take all the guess work out of the service!

By the way, oil and cabin filter change went so flawless I'll be posting my own Neon style how-to video!

I also added a cool little home furnace air freshener behind the charcoal filter. Now Tucker blows the sweet smell of cinnamon through the vents. :)

·
To the XCAPEPOD!
6,091 Posts
I don't need them right at this moment. :)
However, I was wanting to upgrade to Iridiums and was originally going to wait until my 60k service, but I would LOVE to take yours off your hands for you! :D
Just send me a PM with an address and I'll let you known what USPS shipping would be and you can just drop it to me via PayPal.

·
Registered
64 Posts
I need to change the plugs on mine, do you just pull the old ones and install the new ones or do you have to gap the plugs? Which plugs are the best?

·
17,372 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
I need to change the plugs on mine, do you just pull the old ones and install the new ones or do you have to gap the plugs? Which plugs are the best?
You shouldn't have to gap brand new plugs, but it's always good to check the gap to make sure it's up to spec.

Denso and NGK seem to be the most popular on this board. :)

Yep, you have to buy them in advance.
I was going to go back to NAPA tomorrow to buy their OE Densos, but I couldn't pass on rfernatt's iridium plugs!

1 - 20 of 33 Posts