Smart Car of America Forum banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
3,588 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
All of our Japanese cars have run at least 40k on a set of plugs. (All except our 2 stroke Subaru that is.)

We are now nearing 30k on the Smart and it will need to go in for service next month. We are looking at a biggie, $300 pop.

Will the plugs go another 10k? What are you guys seeing? What do you think? A2Jack

·
Registered
1,663 Posts
What is the list of work being performed for $600?

The recommended 30,000 service is only cabin air filter, oil/filter change, and spark plugs, plus some very basic inspections.

You can do this in an afternoon in your driveway with basic tools and around $100 in parts.

·
Registered
3,588 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
What is the list of work being performed for $600?

The recommended 30,000 service is only cabin air filter, oil/filter change, and spark plugs, plus some very basic inspections.

You can do this in an afternoon in your driveway with basic tools and around $100 in parts.
My bad. The $600 is for the Valve adjust at 60k. This one is only $300 :D
Thanks for heads up. I changed post to read $300 per dealer price sheet.

Can't do the work myself, this time around, so my plan is to train my local mechanic to start doing the smart, but I don't want to start him off on the tricky Smart plug job. I will bring it to him first for oil and cabin filters. Then to Smart for the plugs and inspection.

Have you pulled your plugs yet? How did they look? A2Jack

·
Registered
37 Posts
I changed mine out for the iridiums just because. The stock plugs looked fine. The procedure is pretty straight forward and simple with the exception of the extreem right (#3?) cylinder COP. It comes out ok but it's a ***** to get at the retaining bolt because of 2 hoses in the way. It (the bolt) was difficult to get back in also; wierd angle and ham hocks for hands.

·
Banned
4,883 Posts
I changed them at 30,000 and and I'm planning on doing it again at 60,000 here in about a month. The change was easy... if you have access to a lift or jack and can get the rear up in the air so the engine falls away you'll have plenty of room.

As to your question about the state of the plugs, they weren't horrible but they were ready to be replaced. I drive Dracha pretty hard here in the heat of central Florida so it may be different up there in the cold north. :D

·
Registered
5,072 Posts
I changed them at 30,000 and and I'm planning on doing it again at 60,000 here in about a month. The change was easy... if you have access to a lift or jack and can get the rear up in the air so the engine falls away you'll have plenty of room.

Are you saying the engine moves down when you jack up the car?:confused:

·
Lifetime Member
11,307 Posts
Are you saying the engine moves down when you jack up the car?:confused:
That's what he's saying. I changed mine at around 23k just for the heck of it and was able to do it without jacking it up (reason I replaced them is I like seeing how things come apart and go back together).

·
He's not mine
9,607 Posts
A question about plugs.

While on the topic, without starting another thread ...

My car has less than 17K on it. For the past several months, while under fairly strong acceleration in 3 & 4th gears (not floored) I've noticed some unevenness in the acceleration, almost perhaps as if maybe there was some misfiring occurring. I haven't received any check engine light or any other sign of trouble. But, I'm wondering if I might need plugs even at such low mileage. Any thoughts?

·
Registered
8,987 Posts
...could be...also a vacuum leak will show that kind of symptom under light load..
...fair weather missing?..have you pulled your air filter lately?...

jetfuel...not leaking

·
He's not mine
9,607 Posts
...could be...also a vacuum leak will show that kind of symptom under light load..
...fair weather missing?..have you pulled your air filter lately?...

jetfuel...not leaking
I haven't checked the air filter since I upgraded to the BP filter back around 5 or 6 months ago. I don't travel on dirt roads. Wouldn't hurt to check.
A vacuum leak seems like it might be hard to locate. :(

·
Registered
8,987 Posts
..is there any SAND where you drive....?

...vac leaks are easier to find than peeling oranges...

jetfuel...BTDTFT

1 - 18 of 18 Posts