Smart Car of America Forum banner
1 - 20 of 30 Posts

·
Super Moderator
MY08 cabrio MY09 Brabus MY21 Bolt
8,097 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Had appointment this morning for Annual Service only to find MY15 ED DEAD?

Vehicle had been sitting for about a week without EVSE connected. HV battery pack was above 90%, 12V accessory battery could be suspect?

Error messages - Drive Sys Engine Off, Do Not Tow and upon plugging in the EVSE - Malfunction.

Good news - smart M-B Roadside Assistance is AWESOME! Car was picked up promptly and I was actually early for my 10:30 appointment!

Sad thing - my smart Center DOESN'T CARE! Service writer said things like, "we can try," " you know we don't sell smart anymore."

REALLY SUCKS TO BE AN ORPHANED, RED-HEADED, STEP-CHILD!!!

Attachments

·
Premium Member
2,297 Posts

Vehicle had been sitting for about a week without EVSE connected. HV battery pack was above 90%, 12V accessory battery could be suspect?

Error messages - Drive Sys Engine Off, Do Not Tow and upon plugging in the EVSE - Malfunction.

Good news - smart M-B Roadside Assistance is AWESOME! Car was picked up promptly and I was actually early for my 10:30 appointment!

Sad thing - my smart Center DOESN'T CARE! Service writer said thigs like, "we can try," " you know we don't sell smart anymore."

WHAT??

In brighter news, it doesn't sound like a bricked HV battery at all. So I wouldn't worry (too much). They'll just need some hand holding from MBUSA techs to get walked through the process.

·
Super Moderator
1,837 Posts
It's still under warranty though right?

Did you/could you pull up battery numbers with your test unit?

Len
2014 EV Coupe 16,000 miles
2014 EV Cabriolet 6,500 miles

·
Super Moderator
8,097 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Yes, under warranty. Not the owner of a testing unit.

·
Registered
1,320 Posts
MB DNA;1649274}[B said:
Sad thing - my smart Center DOESN'T CARE![/B] Service writer said things like, "we can try," " you know we don't sell smart anymore."

If it was providing error messages, then the 12V battery was not dead.

Rather than get depressed, you should get angry. They sold you the car, they are required to provide service! The idea that a car in perfect mechanical condition can be rendered a brick that you will have to pay someone to dispose of becasue of some kind of vaporous software or electronic glitch is ridiculous.

·
Registered
1,467 Posts
Iif it was providing error messages, then the 12V battery was not dead.

Rather than get depressed, you should get angry. They sold you the car, they are required to provide service! The idea that a car in perfect mechanical condition can be rendered a brick that you will have to pay someone to dispose of becasue of some kind of vaporous software or electronic glitch is ridiculous.
I believe "Sparky" was a originally lease by MB DNA.
Lease ended, SPARKY was surrender back to the lease holder. Then found at auction in Atlanta and bought from auction. So MB / smart did not sell the car to MB DNA.
That being said warranty work still has to be covered by a participating dealer if in fact the car is stilled covered. Which it seems it is.

·
Registered
1,320 Posts
OK, my (identical colors) Smart ED was leased, the bought off-lease from my local MB dealer.

I would have no problem knowing how to keep, say, a 1968 Chevy Camaro running forever, by myself, in my driveway. Even my 2006 Subaru Outback is fully serviceable without any need for proprietary computer applications (and open source PC based apps are available to reprogram the ECU - if I ever wanted to) Only extensive rust has retired the car's I've owned so far. But to be helplessly dependent on a shop with specialized "proprietary" computer equipment unavailable to ordinary DIYers, which they can decide to do away with at any time, is disturbing to say the least - its planned obsolescence from hell.

·
Registered
729 Posts

Sad thing - my smart Center DOESN'T CARE! Service writer said things like, "we can try," " you know we don't sell smart anymore."

Don’t fret about it. I’m banking on 12v battery. My 12v went and the car screamed every warning message it knew at me including HV Drive Failure!

Got 12v replaced under warranty and no problem since.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

·
Super Moderator
8,097 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
I believe "Sparky" was a originally lease by MB DNA.
Lease ended, SPARKY was surrender back to the lease holder. Then found at auction in Atlanta and bought from auction. So MB / smart did not sell the car to MB DNA.
That being said warranty work still has to be covered by a participating dealer if in fact the car is stilled covered. Which it seems it is.
TRUE! Full Disclosure . . .

At end of 36 month lease with HUGE MBFS residual, Sparky was returned to MBFS through a local M-B dealer.

He was found (by a fellow Forum Member) at M-B auction in ATL and was bought in group buy by a friend who has a dealership specializing in M-B resales - believe he picked up 2 other smart ED's in the transaction.

As this "one owner" ED had been in my care for 36 months, was properly serviced AND @ 13,000 miles had warranty remaining - I had no problem with an "as is" without detailing (discounted off MBFS residual) transaction that brought it home directly without seeing the dealers lot.

It was delivered (returned) one month following turn-in with only 2 additional miles on the odometer. It should be noted that MBFS does no maintenance nor HV battery testing before sending to auction.

Note - I believe that these HUGE RESIDUALS are a product of the various unknowns associated with EV purchases in 2014 and the propensity for them to be leased?

Combine that with incentives from Daimler and smartUSA and then stir into the stew 1. What really did/does an EV "cost" as with Federal & State incentives the Monroney Sticker is MEANINGLESS? 2. How will BATTERY technology improve over 36 months? & 3. What will gas prices vs. pre-owned EV resale values be???

A very slippery slope . . . :shrug:

·
Super Moderator
8,097 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
UPDATE!

Nothing from my friendly M-B dealer so I called and left a message.

Response . . .

1. They have ordered a 12V battery and it will take 3 days to get from Jacksonville to Charlotte - guess they are delivering it by smart ED?? :bangwall:

2. They have no idea what is going on with the drive system thus the Foreman has opened a "case" (not a 6-pack)?

·
Registered
3,259 Posts
Lease residuals depend on the amount paid, I heard from someone there’s some sort of 60/40 rule, whatever that means....

Lower the lease payment, higher the residual, and vice versa.

In CAN bus cars voltage is crucial. My wife’s current lease is almost completely CAN in electronics. People complain that the first input of a control results in no response, ie. I want to set the climate to 70 from 72 because I feel warm, it takes three notches counter clockwise instead of the expected two. Integrated in the control is a repeatability check that verifies the signal is true. A weak battery and the second notch may be a different voltage, representing a signal from a different control....

Hoping the snail mail battery arrival, and install, solves everything....

·
Registered
1,320 Posts
Why have we reached this point that even things like turning on the headlights requires a command to properly working computer running properly working, bug-free, uncorrupted software? Sure, I can see the need for CAN for all the sophisticated controls that are required for an IC engine to meet emission requirements. But for things like headlights and turn signals and locks isn't a simple switch that closes a simple circuit far simpler and reliable? I smell a racket....

·
Registered
927 Posts
Nothing from my friendly M-B dealer so I called and left a message.

Response . . .

1. They have ordered a 12V battery and it will take 3 days to get from Jacksonville to Charlotte - guess they are delivering it by smart ED?? :bangwall:

2. They have no idea what is going on with the drive system thus the Foreman has opened a "case" (not a 6-pack)?
I'm following this with a lot of interest and curiosity. It reminds me of that conversation we had this past May where you provided the information about how EVs manage their 12 volt battery, and I'm wondering, if it happens to be that the 12 volt battery is your problem, if that management protocol has caused your battery to die early.

I should revisit that thread. You provided me a lot of information there that I was unaware of.

·
Super Moderator
8,097 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
I'm following this with a lot of interest and curiosity. It reminds me of that conversation we had this past May where you provided the information about how EVs manage their 12 volt battery, and I'm wondering, if it happens to be that the 12 volt battery is your problem, if that management protocol has caused your battery to die early.

I should revisit that thread. You provided me a lot of information there that I was unaware of.
There will no doubt be more to follow as a few minutes ago the Service Writer said that after the 12V was installed, more codes suggested a fault in a heater that has to be replaced. Odd that on a day when it is 90 something outside we are talking about a heater???

Then there are software updates required to see if all codes are cleared - this is being done under guidance being provided from Germany.

The good news was he used the W word, warranty!!!

·
Registered
927 Posts
There will no doubt be more to follow as a few minutes ago the Service Writer said that after the 12V was installed, more codes suggested a fault in a heater that has to be replaced. Odd that on a day when it is 90 something outside we are talking about a heater???

Then there are software updates required to see if all codes are cleared - this is being done under guidance being provided from Germany.

The good news was he used the W word, warranty!!!
Love the "W" word! But the replacement of the 12 volt revealed these codes so does that mean your original 12 volt was bad? Even though it was enough to provide you with the error messages that you originally got?

I mean hopefully those service technicians are experienced enough to know those might be old codes created from the failing 12 volt and not indicative of current faults with the new 12 volt?

·
Super Moderator
8,097 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Love the "W" word! But the replacement of the 12 volt revealed these codes so does that mean your original 12 volt was bad? Even though it was enough to provide you with the error messages that you originally got?

I mean hopefully those service technicians are experienced enough to know those might be old codes created from the failing 12 volt and not indicative of current faults with the new 12 volt?
Although HV was at 90+ percent, 12V was flatlined and no lights nor errors could be seen.

Only after a slow overnight charge could I see error messages. Nothing would release the electric drive system lockdown even though the startup cycle would give me a brief flash of Ready?

·
Super Moderator
8,097 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Sparky is back with a HV cap reading of 51.4 Ah

Update - picked up Sparky this morning and appears that all is well . . .

"Battery dead. 12V battery fails Midtronics test during MPI. R&R 12V battery."
451-982-00-08 Starter battery - nothing special here, M-B Group 38 w/vent tube

They found "multiple high voltage related codes in the system. Cleared all codes and found code P1D7987 (Contactor of HV battery has been opened due to release fault) and U145641 (Implausible data received from PTC heater) come back as current codes. Checked CAN EV and CAN C - Both 59.5 OHMS. Checked CAN resistance through N127 - 52.3K OHMS - Pass and N33/5 - 27.79K OHMS - Pass. Network are OK. Opened PTSS Case #XXXXXX. Instructed to update software in all HV components. If concern still present replace N33/5. Using SDS checked software and updated. After all updates let CAN go to sleep and performed another quick test. Found same issue still present."

Added operation - "PTC heater not communicating properly. Per PTSS Case #XXXXXX special ordered PTC heater. Using SDS performed deactivation of HV system. Removed S7 and installed lock. Once HV system is deactivated R&R PTC heater. Perform HV startup using SDS. After startup cleared all codes. Test drove vehicle without any issues. Performed final quick test - no codes present."

451-830-26-00 Heat Booster, a 3 lb $2,500 ceramic heater
Heater Type: Ceramic Positive Temperature Coefficient (PTC)
Wattage: 1500W
Supply Voltage: 150-350 Volts DC

https://www.genuinemercedesparts.com/oem-parts/smart-booster-4518302600

After an excellent experience with M-B Roadside Assistance I was pleasantly surprised by the work done by the local dealer. Annual battery check showed a capacity of 51.4 Ah. Charges totaling $160 included a brake fluid flush, cup of coffee and a FREE car wash . . .

Living the dream! :burnout:

·
Registered
927 Posts
Glad it is fixed. So they replaced that $2500 heater but didn't tell you they ordered it? I'm not sure I'm interpreting their notes correctly.

·
Registered
3,259 Posts
That’s an extremely expensive ceramic heater. (Thank you Apple for making the ceramic Apple Watch so expensive)! When did ceramic become more expensive than Gold! Sheesh!!!!!!

Glad it’s under warranty. I’d be buying my smart a blanket to keep her warm at nights....

Note to self, time to invest in Pottery Barn....

·
Super Moderator
1,837 Posts
Had my heater repaired on my coupe two years ago. You made me go and pull out my invoice.
Part number 451 830 26 00 was also replaced on mine. They also replaced 451 829 00 01. Repair order called the first part a heat booster and the second an engine. All was done under warranty.

Len
2014 EV Coupe 16,000 miles
2014 EV Cabriolet 7,000 miles

1 - 20 of 30 Posts