Smart Car of America Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
119 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
All-

I found that after a few days of enjoying the new Kenwood stereo installation, the stock factory speakers were abysmal. I decided to return to my local car stereo installation shop today and have them install two new Kenwood KFCX173 speakers. Again, what a HUGE improvement!

To cut to the chase, for those interested in swapping out their own speakers, I didn't get to observe the entire installation process, but I can tell you this. The inside door panel is not the one you want to remove. It is the outside panel. The installer also had to remove part of the outer front panels over the wheels in order to get the door panels off. The Kenwood speakers I chose are 6 1/2" size. The installer removed the factory speakers (that in itself was a challenge as they are blocked by metal mounting arms) and then he completely cut out and tossed the speaker cone. This left a plastic mounting ring. He took the Kenwood speaker and mounted it in that ring and then reinstalled it back in the door. The total process took around two hours and much of that was working with the speakers themselves.

Bottom line is that I'm glad I didn't have to do the job. It was well above my pay grade to even think about it! Unfortunately, I didn't get see how the door panels came off. It may have been something similar to other Smart door panels as the guys didn't seem too concerned about it. Removing the old speaker and installing the new one without damaging it was clearly the more delicate procedure.

Hope this helps others at least a little bit.

-Steve

·
Registered
208 Posts
This is sort of sad. The 451was a snap to do from the inside. You just cut the old speaker grills and out yank the OEM speakers. Then trim the plastic ring to fit the 6.5" speaker. Mark and drill new holes in the ring, plug the wires in and screw the speaker back in and snap the grills on. Took me about 1/2 hour a side. Did two 451 speaker swaps, the second one I spent about 1/2 the time.

I am afraid, we are going to need a step by step 'How Too' of a 453 door speaker swap...

·
Registered
208 Posts
Does anyone know or have a step by step on how to upgrade the speakers in the 453?
I replaced the OEM door speakers with 6.5 JBL and the JBL upgraded tweeters. With just those changes the car sounds WAY better then OEM! I also have a self powered 8" Kenwood subwoofer that I never put in... I thought this car rocks as it is!

Bad news, yes use the link below and print the step by step directions. Be forewarned everything about the process is a b****h... Both the panel removal, and the speaker swap. Was it worth it? Absolutely!!!

1 - 6 of 6 Posts