Smart Car of America Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I did a few searches and didn't find anything specific. I just picked up a 2012 smart passion but in the process of making the decision I test drove at least four or five others. The car that I ultimately picked sounds like one of the speakers is blown/distorted but also, every single one of the cars that I drove sounded like what I'm used to hearing when speakers were blown .... horrible distorted sound, etc. In two of them I tried adjusting the balance back and forth to isolate a speaker but it ended up just sounding horrible in different ways.

Is this a weirdly, unusually common problem with these cars? Is it really the speakers or is there something wrong with the amps that they use in their head units? I've just never heard of that many of one kind of speakers going bad in my lifetime.

·
Premium Member
MY08 cabrio MY09 cabrio Brabus MY15 ED
7,632 Posts
Is this a weirdly, unusually common problem with these cars? Is it really the speakers or is there something wrong with the amps that they use in their head units?
Welcome to SCoA.

A known smart shortcoming or as you put it - "a weirdly, unusually common problem." Paper cone OEM speakers provided by the lowest bidder??? :shrug:

While the head units are cheesy too, any upgrade to the speakers will improve your listening experience.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks! I haven't really dug into it further than changing the fluids, transmission oil, battery, etc yet but I hoped that it was really as simple as replacing some speakers.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
In general though I think this little guy is super-fun to drive. I really didn't expect it to be this cool. I picked it up because my wife wanted to try one now I'm afraid that she's going to have to get her own :D

·
Registered
729 Posts
The 2 speaker system has real short comings. The 7 speaker system is a good bit better but still not perfect.

I have 2 smarts, one with the 7 speaker and one with the 2 speaker system.

Within a month I had to swap the whole system on the 2 speaker smart (quality and volume drove me nuts), went with new head unit, new door speakers, an 8” sub under the dash and a 4 channel amp to power it all. Much better now!

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

·
Super Moderator
28,525 Posts
Speakers are a matter of opinion, and we all know what those are like. The stock speakers in our 2011 are doing fine and have good sound for what they are. YMMV. :)

·
Registered
38 Posts
When I was looking at buying a Smart I drove a few with the factory radio and speakers. I was disappointed in the low quality sound, and told the wife, the speakers and radio are the first to go. I ended up buying a cartogo Smart with the JVC radio in it. Using the eq settings and a setting that sonically lifts the sound up from the door speakers, along with a USB drive of all my tunes, the speakers don't sound bad at all. Now I don't listen at really loud volumes, and I'm not interested in thumping bass so you might have problems if you like it loud. I think it's a combination of the low end factory radio and the base speakers...

·
Registered
208 Posts
Any one here wrestled with new door speakers for the 453? Or, does anyone know how to take off the interior door panels, so I can get to the speakers hidden by the door panel? Do not wish to pull the exterior door skins...

·
Registered
598 Posts
The stock door speakers are, to be kind, crap.
My 2013 door speakers arent even metal, the frame is plastic. The magnet is tiny, and cone is paper. Junk.
i Replaced them with some good speakers along with a new head unit and a powered sub that was mounted behind the drivers seat. Damn what a difference. The stock system reminds me of a "close and play". Anyone remember those?

·
Registered
7,013 Posts
My 2008 with the radio 9. Was a horrible radio, and had terrible speakers. This is what you got, on a $14k vehicle.

Does the newer 453, even offer Apple Car play, and Android auto?

·
Registered
208 Posts
My 2008 with the radio 9. Was a horrible radio, and had terrible speakers. This is what you got, on a $14k vehicle.

The answer is no. And the base radio is also worthless (especially in a Smart with the amount of road noise they have). The JBL option is better... But, the bass is still pretty ineffective. Will be better with an 8” self amplified under seat sub-woofer like I had in my JBL optioned 451.

·
17,390 Posts
The answer is no. And the base radio is also worthless (especially in a Smart with the amount of road noise they have). The JBL option is better... But, the bass is still pretty ineffective. Will be better with an 8” self amplified under seat sub-woofer like I had in my JBL optioned 451.

Apparently Android Auto was introduced in 2017 software releases (allegedly 11.342 or 11.341) for the the smart media system (touchscreen unit). If you have the standard smart radio you get Bluetooth and an AUX jack.

Someone on Reddit was nice enough to detail the update process:

To update the smart Media-System, you need to install TomTom MyDrive Connect on your computer, and plug the SD memory card from your car into your computer. Make sure to eject it safely first, using the option "Remove SD-card" under Menu > System.

Depending on the version that the Media-System is running, MyDrive Connect might ask you to install Smart Media Connect instead. I haven't figured out the exact conditions that are required, so you might just have to try both. It's also worth noting that the version number of the update displayed on your computer will be different to the one displayed in your car, so if it says you're downloading version 11.329, that'll actually show up as 11.343 in the Version information screen in your car.

Once it downloaded the update onto the memory card, plug it back into your car, and the Media-System will ask you if you want to install it. Select "yes", and it'll start doing its thing. In my experience, it takes about 40 minutes.
Ideally, smart really wants you to use their Cross Connect app, which is their own interpretation of systems like Android Auto.

·
17,390 Posts
Oh, I didn't know they did that! I only had it for a few months before I deleted it and never looked back.

I suppose if you still have it on your phone you could still use it (unless there is something in the code that killed it).

A long time back I had a very rare app from smartUK called "Get Lost" that took you on random adventures based on minimal input (distance you want to drive and rating of the activity). I discovered that despite the app being made for the UK it worked just fine in the US. I still had the app for a long time after smart pulled the plug, but I eventually lost it for good once I moved from iPhone to Android.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts