Smart Car of America Forum banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
4,829 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey everybody.

I just wanted to know if anybody can get the specs (frequency response, power handling, efficiency) of the factory speakers.

I'm ready to replace my speakers with some Polk MM651 coax speakers and I wanted to compare the specs of the two speakers.

Also, when I tune my Pioneer Premier headunit perfectly, I can make the factory speakers sing pretty well without much distortion while climbing the volume knob (music genre dependent).

Just really wanted to know if anybody had this info or who might. Thank you! :D

·
Registered
477 Posts
Hey 111, the specs of the stock speakers are of little importantance compared to chopping them out, disposing of them, and installing decent replacements as soon as possible.:D You will not be angry after you have completed the installation of the Polks and cranked em up the first time and really heard your music:):):)

·
Registered
7,213 Posts
If your getting rid of the OEM speakers, why would you need any specifications? Their junky speakers. You'll never get any decent sound out of the factory ones. Just drop in the new Polk, and forget tuning anything.

·
Premium Member
2,744 Posts
The factory speakers are like the "pictures" that come with a picture frame when you buy it. They're meant to be replaced with real ones.
Not a good comparison - I've seen a bunch of the pictures people put in those frames, and I'd keep the original picture...:wink:

·
Registered
1,881 Posts
The power handling number I've heard is 5W (!!!), the frequency response is probably OK on the low end, but not full-range-worthy on the high end, I have no real opinion on efficiency, and there's one big elephant in the room we all know about: absurd distortion, especially in the bass.

·
Registered
1,156 Posts
I love car audiofools. Rubber speakers so stiff it takes 20 amps to make them play so they can have penis envy points. The only "specs" OEM speakers have is price per case to maximize profits from the lowest bidder. Car companies don't care what they are.

"Do you have any woofers left?", I ask the store. 6" speakers AREN'T woofers!

Too funny.......
B-52 Professional: Precision For Your Passion
Hmm....too big for behind the seat... Guess 1200 watts rms is kinda overkill in a Smart....

·
He's not mine
9,617 Posts
Aside from being your usual offensive self, you made a boo boo ...
"Do you have any woofers left?", I ask the store. 6" speakers AREN'T woofers!
Mid range speakers are called woofers. You mean 6" speakers aren't sub-woofers. Although 8" subs are fairly common and subs down to 4" exist.

And my woofer cones aren't plastic ... they're kevlar. :p

Kevlar isn't plastic, is it? LOL

·
Registered
4,829 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Deepblueq, 5W?!? Geez, I'm killing my speakers, literally!

I am running a Pioneer Premier double-din radio with a built in amp that is pretty strong for a HU.

Tonight, I purchased the Polk MM651 speakers. This should be fun! :D

I went with the MM over the DB because of the construction and the efficiency range is greater. Also, people on the Polk forum that have had both say that the MM series is better for mids to lows while the DB series is for mids to highs. I'm looking for mids to lows and that's why I went for the MM series. Also, I might add a small amp to the system if I feel it to be necessary. That all depends on how much my new speakers eat up the power my HU is going to give them.

I'm going to remove the speakers through the inside panel. It's going to be a fun and adventurous job seeing as how mostly everybody that has replaced the speakers has gone through the outside panel. I'll post pictures and stuff to show you how we do it. I'll make a new thread about it.

For this thread, I wanted to see if there were specs on the factory coffee filters. I guess not. :)

·
He's not mine
9,617 Posts
I'm sure you're going to be pleased with the results, even powered by your Pioneer alone. My first upgrade was to the DB651s ... big improvement over the stock speakers.

You're right about the installation. Most everyone says it's easier from the outside.

·
Registered
4,829 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
NCC1701, looking at the installation and how it would be done, it looks harder with a higher risk for complications going through the outside. Going at the speaker directly will make it easier with less complications. Like I said, I'll post pictures and videos and how we thought it went when we hook it up.

·
Registered
33 Posts
The factory speakers are incredibly junky. The magnet on them is about the size of a fridge magnet. no joke!

I replaced mine with infinity reference 2-way (6032cf). They're great If you want very crisp mids/highs and you will add a sub later. I am really blown away by the quality of the infinity for the price ($99 on sale, canada)
Cheers,dean

·
17,476 Posts
The specs of the factory speakers are equal to the specs of...

·
Registered
5,944 Posts
the ONLY time they stay in any of my cars is if they are too hard to get to, and I don't drive it much! Otherwise, I generally yank them out of the car the first week I get them!

·
Registered
4,829 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
The factory speakers are incredibly junky. The magnet on them is about the size of a fridge magnet. no joke!

I replaced mine with infinity reference 2-way (6032cf). They're great If you want very crisp mids/highs and you will add a sub later. I am really blown away by the quality of the infinity for the price ($99 on sale, canada)
Cheers,dean
Yeah, they are bad. Check out my new thread where we did a video install through the inside panel. It's cool! :D

1 - 20 of 20 Posts