Smart Car of America Forum banner

1 - 20 of 32 Posts

·
Registered
40 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi - anyone know how to hook up the speed and reverse wires from the Avic-F90BT to the smart 451? Also, I haven't opened up the console yet, but how is the subwoofer connected? I have the radio 10 upgrade. Thanks in advance!

·
Registered
40 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
OK, I searched through the posts and answered one of my questions - the speed wire hook-up is not necessary and not recommended. But what about the reverse wire? A rear camera would be cool for backing up. Also, I still need help with the subwoofer connections.
Thanks!

PS - nice to meet a fellow Manhattanite too, Denny. I keep my car garaged - Found a great deal - $150 /month special for smarts! Let me know if you want the details.

·
Registered
1,013 Posts
>Found a great deal - $150 /month special for smarts!
>Let me know if you want the details.

ha! you know I do!
I'll PM you...

·
Registered
64 Posts
Rear Camera Reverse wire

I will be installing a Panasonic Strada 905 NAV/BT/IPOD/XM unit with the reverse camera option. The wire from the Strada head unit for the camera just needs +12v when in reverse. They recommend splicing into the +12v connection to the back up light. That way when you shift to reverse the backup lights and the camera are turned on. BTW, the wire in the Strada harness for this is long enough to reach from the dash past the rear bumper in a Chevy Suburban! I think it would wrap twice around a smart. I am giong to slpice into the backup light in the right hand side rear "cubby hole". There is an easy to remove cover there, and should be easy to snake wire under the carpet up to the dash. Expect I'll mount the camera under lip above the license plate as it is very small.

BTW, if anyone else is installing this unit and you want to be able watch DVD's without setting the parking brake, instead of connecting the DVD enable wire to the parking brake switch just splice it to the +12v power wire for the head unit. That way any time the key is on and Strada is on you can view a DVD. Remember, it's not legal to watch while driving :p.

- David -

·
Registered
40 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Thanks to all the great tips and info on this Forum, I was able to answer all my install questions. Also, thanks for the reverse camera info, getsmartusa. I'll look into a camera for my head unit. I'm kinda sad to take out the Radio 10 - it looked cool and retro - kinda like Robbie the Robot on Forbidden Planet. But it's worth it to get all the cool features of the Pioneer F90BT. I'm still installing it but I have all the wiring harnesses and adapters soldered up and ready to go. Will report when I get it running.

·
Registered
40 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Well, I finally got the Pioneer Avic-F90BT installed. It's really a great unit. I've heard there are some bugs, but it's lightyears ahead of the Radio 10. I suppose I'll have to work on speakers and amps next, but for now it sounds fine. Some things I noticed:
1. The tweeters up on the dash must have their own high pass filters, as they sound really tinny no mater the eq. The eq controls work mainly on the door speakers. Can anyone confirm, please?
2. I got the XM radio add-on and it's working. There are only 6 presets, which is skimpy, but adequate I guess once I get the feel for navigating the stations.
3. There's a stupid warning screen when you switch to a dvd. Any way to get rid of this?
4. Doesn't read a 4GB SDHC disk. Oh well, will have to get a smaller one.
All in all, a pleasant experience.

·
Registered
274 Posts
The tweeters up on the dash must have their own high pass filters, as they sound really tinny no mater the eq. The eq controls work mainly on the door speakers. Can anyone confirm, please?
Most likely they do, or you would have blown them already ;)

Congratulations on buying what is probably one of the best aftermarket stereos for this car. You're going to love it :)

·
Registered
40 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
I didn't take any pictures, but I'll be glad to later in the week. On my maiden voyage I was getting audio drop-outs which makes me think there's a loose connection so I'll have to pop the unit out and check all my connections. I pretty much just crammed all the wires behind the unit, so I'll have to really neaten up my install and also find a better place for the XM radio module.
I was wrong about the XM presets by the way. There are 3 (?) banks of presets accessible by a screen button called "bands".
I must admit it is pretty cool to have DVD capability. I especially enjoyed playing a DVD audio disk of the Beatles' Love (The re-mix for the Cirqu Du Soleil show). The player shows a nice screen with the title of the song playing. I also tried playing a live concert DVD of Journey.
As for the fit, the dash kit I bought worked perfectly and looks great. I got a wiring harness and an antenna adapter also. Other than some soldering, it was a pretty easy install. Now it's on to the speakers, as you can really hear the deficiencies of the stock "premium stereo" speakers now. Needs a better powered sub-woofer too.

·
Registered
225 Posts
well american international,metra,scosche all makes kits for the smarts. i think most of the kits people are using are from AI

·
Registered
40 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
The AI Kit. I'll post pics after the weekend - I'm going to take the unit out, check all connections and relocate the XM module, neaten up the wiring.

·
Registered
225 Posts
Ai makes a harness for smarts now. u can just go to ur local stereo shop and get a vw harness. its the same just pins in diff place for some wires.

·
Registered
133 Posts
Ai makes a harness for smarts now. u can just go to ur local stereo shop and get a vw harness. its the same just pins in diff place for some wires.
does anyone know what the yellow plug does. and is there some one that has the wires aready figured out like whats Pos neg and speaker lay out

1 - 20 of 32 Posts