Smart Car of America Forum banner

1 - 20 of 31 Posts

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Just wondering if everyone has the same experience....

I finally had a chance to get the GPS in my smart and noticed at 50+ mph or so the speedometer is 3 or 4 mph lower than the reading on the GPS.

Even the Scangauge reading is 2 mph higher than the speedo.

Am I imagining things? Anybody else?

·
Senior Smartie
1,263 Posts
The scangauge has to be set to the car...

I finally had a chance to get the GPS in my smart and noticed at 50+ mph or so the speedometer is 3 or 4 mph lower than the reading on the GPS.

once the car's is checked using GPS or mileage markers like I did (oldfashioned but pretty darn accurate), you go into the scangauge and insert correction factors to equal the cars reading. If the car is off, then you set the scangauge by the mileage markers or the GPS, whichever you feel is more accurate.

·
Registered
351 Posts
spedo error

Smart is aware of the problem and they are looking at it. No date on a possible solution but I have found senior management in smart USA interested and responsive.

·
Registered
17 Posts
Smart is aware of the problem and they are looking at it. No date on a possible solution but I have found senior management in smart USA interested and responsive.
My guess is the reason they are interested is they wan't to avoid a potential class action lawsuit similar to Honda's lawsuit about inaccurate odometer/speedometer. My 2004 CRV reads 2.5% higher mileage and a few MPH lower. The lawsuit forced Honda to extend any warranty by 2.5% or reimburse leaseholders for equivalent excess mileage.

If the smart speedometer is off, I wouldn't be surprised if the odometer is off as well....

·
Registered
698 Posts
My guess is the reason they are interested is they wan't to avoid a potential class action lawsuit similar to Honda's lawsuit about inaccurate odometer/speedometer. My 2004 CRV reads 2.5% higher mileage and a few MPH lower. The lawsuit forced Honda to extend any warranty by 2.5% or reimburse leaseholders for equivalent excess mileage.

If the smart speedometer is off, I wouldn't be surprised if the odometer is off as well....
You make an excellent point. I haven't checked the odometer accuracy yet.

·
Banned
3,834 Posts
Surely the wizards at smart didn't pick the wrong land mile:
1 British mile = 0.999 786 248 31 statute mile
1 Irish mile = 1.272 568 201 7 statute mile
1 Scottish mile = 1.127 167 342 7 statute mile
1 Roman mile = 0.944 484 212 2 statute mile
1 US Survey mile = 1.000 002 statute mile

Or a nautical mile?

But did the EU quietly demand a metric clock? Does the pod clock have 10 hours on the face instead of 12?

·
Banned
3,834 Posts
Is the error a consistant number, or proportional to road speed? Anyway....

If the speedometer (thus odometer) is under-reporting, then maybe your fuel mileage is better than you thought. Maybe EPA got a crummy speedo/odo too.

·
Premium Member
2,905 Posts
Is the error a consistant number, or proportional to road speed? Anyway....

If the speedometer (thus odometer) is under-reporting, then maybe your fuel mileage is better than you thought. Maybe EPA got a crummy speedo/odo too.
Don't know if it helps, but my speedometer consistently reads about 2-3 mph faster than the GPS over 30 mph and and 1-2 mph faster below 30 mph

·
Registered
43 Posts
its like this with every car ive driven. as mentioned before, auto manufactures error on the conservative side. imagine the lawsuits if it read lower than actual speed and someone got a ticket because of that.

·
Registered
698 Posts
its like this with every car ive driven. as mentioned before, auto manufactures error on the conservative side. imagine the lawsuits if it read lower than actual speed and someone got a ticket because of that.

Not every car...Honda and Acura settled a class action lawsuit, extending the warranty of its 2002-2006 vehicles by 5% because of inaccurate odometers. The odometers were reading more miles than actually traveled, essentially ending the warranty sooner. The articles about this lawsuit pointed out that most domestic vehicles accuracy is very near 0% and that most Toyotas erred in favor of the customer by about 2%.

The consistent error reported here by many of us of about 2 MPH on the speedometer at 60MPH also is in the odometer, in our favor, allowing a slight extension of the warranty for the customer. And yes, this may mean the MPG calculations we're all doing are slightly off.

1 - 20 of 31 Posts