Smart Car of America Forum banner

1 - 20 of 31 Posts

·
Registered
4,829 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey guys!

Here's an interesting question I have been thinking about. How hard would it be to spin the tires on a smart if you either pull fuse 11 or do the two button push mod?

It seems like it would be easier because it's a rear wheel drive car and that's where the minority of the braking occurs so it would be easier to break the rear drums loose than the front rotors but all of the weight is on the back tires so it would be harder. Also, would the drivetrain be able to handle spinning the tires? I've wanted to try this, but I've never done it on my smart before and I'd be afraid that I would hurt something.

Thank you for your input in advanced!

·
Premium Member
11,309 Posts
The traction control will activate before the tires will spin, pulling fuse 11 will disable TCS and the ABS.

·
Registered
9,074 Posts
...do the two buttons and go try it..
..,in wet grass I lost a race...in the snow my heart got a new beat...

Jetfuel...way down south....still

·
Registered
4,333 Posts
I agree with what's been posted above. On dry pavement it will never happen. Just like my first car, a 1978 Plymouth Volare' Coupe. Had a slant 6 in it. I did the traditional wide tires mod, and that car wouldn't chirp a tire no matter how hard I tried. If I did a sharp right turn, I could get the inside to chirp once, but that was it.

Besides, it's a smart, what's the point????:)

·
Super Moderator
MY08 cabrio MY09 cabrio Brabus MY15 ED
7,862 Posts
Spin the tires?

Hey guys!

Here's an interesting question I have been thinking about. How hard would it be to spin the tires on a smart if you either pull fuse 11 or do the two button push mod?

Thank you for your input in advanced!
See Frankensmart thread,
or the only likely way to get tire spin from a smart . . .

·
Registered
2,550 Posts
There are a few inclines on the Dragon(heading south) where I can break the rear tires loose on my cdi, dry conditons, with tc on or off. With the tc off the tires will spin a little longer. A remapped cdi has a little more torque to work with though.

·
Registered
4,829 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Jim and Krusty, I stated in the original post that:
...if you either pull fuse 11 or do the two button push mod?
I know about disabling all of that. I'm sure you guys saw my two-button push video waaaaay back when. I just didn't know if WHEN you do either pull fuse 11 or do the two button push if the horsepower from a N/A smart would be able to spin the rear tires if the horsepower could overcome breaking the rear drums loose and turning in place underneath the weight applied on the rear of the car. From the answers above, I can see that answer would be no on a flat dry pavement but would obviously work on wet grass or snow or ice or another slippery surface (like glass haha).

·
Registered
9,074 Posts
...even FrankenSmart have a hard time cutting loose...we try it...on the slick shop floor you can hear the chirping...on the road there's nothing but forward movement...head goes back...

jetfuel...kind of fun I tell you...

·
Registered
9,074 Posts
...sorry...back with more...
....if your intent is to hold the brakes and try to break the rear loose I can tell you then that it will never happen...the car is brake priority...on the brakes will not allow go fast pedal input...

Jetfuel....btdt...

·
He's not mine
9,617 Posts
Yesterday, on wet asphalt, for the first time in four years of driving my smart, I felt a little bit of slippage from the rear while hard accelerating in 1st gear. Not spinning, but not rock solid grip either, a detectable sideways motion too. A freak thing, I reckon. Kinda surprised me.

·
Registered
9,074 Posts
...gump...show the pic of the 6000LBS trailer being pulled by the samrt---

jetfuel...I think it was you that had it...

·
Super Moderator
17,553 Posts
I was able to spin the wheels twice.

The first time:
It was a rainy night and I had just dropped a co-worker off from work. I was feeling curious so I went to the parking lot of the nearby closed down Wal*Mart. I performed the button trick (yep, works on '12s!) and proceeded to floor it from a dead stop. I got the slightest bit of spin from the wheels on the first try. On the second try I turned the wheel and got a nice mini drift.

The second time:
Our campground for the Red Wing rally had a dirt road taking up the rear (probably how forest got his car so filthy getting his way back) and breaking the wheels loose on that loose surface was too easy, I got a good amount of spin there!

It isn't impossible, you just need either slick pavement or no pavement at all! :D

1 - 20 of 31 Posts