Smart Car of America Forum banner

1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
17,476 Posts
Windex does a pretty neat job so long as you use a microfibre cloth and don't use too much Windex. :)

Any store bought car fabric cleaner should also do the trick.

·
Registered
4,476 Posts
What was in the water to cause spotting, or were your seats already grimy? Removing stains from fabric depends on the specific cause. Trying the wrong thing can set a stain or make it worse.

·
Registered
861 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
not sure what the spots are from. when i got the car in December the seats weren't bad. i went over them with Resolve fabric/upholstery cleaner then when they were dry i applied 3M Scotchgard.

I am thinking a sweating cup

thanks for your input

·
Registered
4,476 Posts
You might try lightly scrubbing the fabric with white vinegar first. If that doesn't work, try Folex (the best completely-harmless fabric cleaner I've ever found that's gotten out every stain I've tried it on, including red wine spilled on carpet and clothing). You may have a problem because you used Scotchgard, thereby potentially trapping the stain in the fabric. The rule of thumb is to use the least powerful/harmful method first before trying anything harsher.

·
Registered
50 Posts
I was just going to ask this question re: orange/red fabric. Staining isn't bad, but I also have no idea what it is. Just didn't want to risk fading the fabric or causing a worse issue than what's already present.

·
Super Moderator
1,560 Posts
Kaboom worked well on a headliner stain I had on one of my cars. My impression was that it was a late night TV scammer product, but it worked. It's sold at many grocery stores, Walmart, etc. It was recommended to me by the owner of Leatherique Products.

Len
2014 EV Coupe 11,500 miles
2014 EV Cabriolet 150 miles

·
Registered
50 Posts
Kaboom worked well on a headliner stain I had on one of my cars. My impression was that it was a late night TV scammer product, but it worked. It's sold at many grocery stores, Walmart, etc. It was recommended to me by the owner of Leatherique Products.

Len
Which formula did you go with if I may ask?

·
Super Moderator
1,560 Posts
Which formula did you go with if I may ask?
I used a foam Kaboom Stain Remover. It is listed for use with fabric and upholstery. I did a quick search online and didn't see it anywhere. I saw a stain remover with bleach, but I wouldn't use that on fabric. Also saw some bathroom stain remover products, but that's not what I used either. Maybe what I used isn't available anymore?

Barcode is 7 57037 35010 2

Len

·
Registered
50 Posts
I used a foam Kaboom Stain Remover. It is listed for use with fabric and upholstery. I did a quick search online and didn't see it anywhere. I saw a stain remover with bleach, but I wouldn't use that on fabric. Also saw some bathroom stain remover products, but that's not what I used either. Maybe what I used isn't available anymore?

Barcode is 7 57037 35010 2

Len
LoL. I wouldn't be surprised if it were not. That normally seems to be my luck. However, that does give me a starting point as there are several closeout shops in my area & I'll poke around on eBay etc. Thank you so much for going to all the trouble I really appreciate it! :)

·
Registered
1,471 Posts
I would start out with some foam upholstery cleaner. If that doesn't work, I have used my wife's clothes steamer with good results. I have also used Goofoff.

·
Registered
50 Posts
Try other simple methods first – see my post above. Steamers use heat, and heat can set some stains permanently.
Indeed. Just glad to know I have several of these in my arsenal already. I come from a seamstress background (long line including upholstery refinishing) & a few of these things were points from memory I totally forgot about.
Thank you so much for the help!

·
Registered
861 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
thanks guys

i don't think they are set in stains just a water ring as far as i know. my seats are light tan.

gee i've had so many suggestions i don't know which way to go. don't want to get a build up residue of different products and then the spot may be harder than ever to get out.

wouldn't steam say from an iron harm the fabric or seem it make it less pliable?

·
Registered
896 Posts
Everything is good, except no one mentioned extraction of the cleaning residues.
After using upholstery cleaner I use a wet/dry vac next to get rid of the foam if any.
Then a spray bottle filled with distilled water. Spray the seat till wet anand wet vac. as much as possible.
(Shhhhhh. Don't tell anyone.) I have used the .25 vacs at the car wash before I bought a wet/dry shop vac. Wipe off the nozzle first if you use the vacs at the car wash and remember to bring a towel to use on the seat for the drive home.
Allow dampness to air dry fully before treating with Scotchguard.

I have used this method on a very light headliner with soda stains.

·
Registered
9,043 Posts
..let's KISS this issue...spray the whole seat until wet with demineralized water in a water spray bottle...more spray over stain...wipe the whole seat with clean white microfiber cloth...

Jetfuel....minerals free water....the whole seat...

·
Registered
861 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
my car has the light tan cloth seats and I was wondering what to use to get water spots and/or soiled spots out with

·
Registered
24 Posts
We had a few “water spots” on our cloth black seats when we got the car. I used a general spray foaming interior cleaner available at Walmart. Took two times to get the spots out, but it did. I then sprayed with Scotch Gard to hopefully keep the seats cleaner and spot free.

·
Super Moderator
11,309 Posts
I have used Tuff Stuff Multi-Purpose Foam Cleaner on my tan seats a couple of times. Seems to work OK. Not sure how those seats get the spots on them except they always seem to appear when the wife or id use the car.. Just sayin...

1 - 20 of 26 Posts