Smart Car of America Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
646 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Spotted: Fisker Karma!

These are pretty rare, I think total sales of the Karma world-wide was about 2400 vehicles. Now out of business, the Fisker was none-the-less a beautiful EV.

I was at my local Mercedes dealership today and saw this one, so I took a few photos with my iphone.

The "Tron" top is awesome looking

·
17,345 Posts
I think you mean "Fisker", "Fiskar" is a brand of office stationery. :D

The Fisker was a good idea. It's best described as like the high performance super luxury version of the Chevy Volt.

Unfortunately, many Fiskers started themselves on fire just sitting still in parking lots.

Then a series of unfortunate events succeeded. Money ran dry, sales were slow, the battery supplier went bankrupt.

Then as Fisker finally began working on a fix for those fires, Hurricane Sandy blew in and destroyed every car waiting at port (300). Their entire Inventory was trashed and losses were estimated at $30,000,000.

They couldn't win for losing. :(

·
Registered
312 Posts
If I recall the President of Fisker is also under investigation by the government for like 159 million dollars. I am probably wrong on the dollar amount but it was some crazy amount.

·
Registered
22 Posts
Yeah those are super nice! Too bad to see them go out.

A luxury performance sedan needs to have a lot of boxes checked off in order to stand out in a field of cookie-cutter four-doors. And the Fisker Karma checked off nearly all of them, with two notable exceptions: one was that gap-toothed grin, and the other was its hybrid powertrain. Fortunately, VL Automotive claims to have the answer to both.

The company headed up by Bob Lutz – that veteran top exec of all the Big Three automakers in Detroit – is building upon the ruins of Fisker Automotive, taking its Karma hybrid sedan, replacing its divisive grille with a more conventional one and its hybrid propulsion system with a small-block Corvette V8.

The result is called the Destino, and was unveiled earlier this year at the Detroit Auto Show. Since then, Lutz, his business partner Gilbert Villereal and their team at VL Automotive have run into some problems – including an Asian investor that was holding out on providing crucial access codes to the car's electronic systems – but now they're back on track.

VL is both buying unsold Karma chassis and offering to convert owners' cars, replacing key body panels and shoehorning in either the 450-horsepower, direct-injection LT1 from the new Stingray or the 638hp supercharged LS9 from the ZR1. Lutz promises the result will be smooth and refined, not raw and ragged, when it hits the market in the middle of next year with a price tag hovering around the $200,000 mark.

Lutz promises silky VL Destino in 2014 - Autoblog

·
Registered
142 Posts
One of these cars shows up at a park near my house every Sunday morning. I've taken a couple pics of it because it's so rare to see one.

I would still like to see a real SHEV make it to the market. So far the only one I've seen is VIA motors (and yes I want one).

·
Registered
646 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I think you mean "Fisker", "Fiskar" is a brand of office stationery. :D

The Fisker was a good idea. It's best described as like the high performance super luxury version of the Chevy Volt.

Unfortunately, many Fiskers started themselves on fire just sitting still in parking lots.

Then a series of unfortunate events succeeded. Money ran dry, sales were slow, the battery supplier went bankrupt.

Then as Fisker finally began working on a fix for those fires, Hurricane Sandy blew in and destroyed every car waiting at port (300). Their entire Inventory was trashed and losses were estimated at $30,000,000.

They couldn't win for losing. :(
Corrected my spelling, thanks

1 - 11 of 11 Posts