Smart Car of America Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Super Moderator
11,263 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Trying to decide the best and most cost effective way to change the front end from white to 2008 red... I have front panel, 2 fenders, service flap, bumper cover, and lower valance to paint. I am wondering if anyone has done the spray bomb method with a clear coat follow-up and mostly how much paint am I going to need.

I found a site that has 12 oz spray cans, or would I be better to go with a pint of color, and the same clear coat. I know the spray gun would give me the best finish, but price wise it could get spendy. It doesn't have to be perfect, just reasonably close.

Any guess as to what it will take to spray a fender, or front end (bumper cover, valance, hood) I don't want to get half way through and run out of rattle cans..

And of course Metallic Red (CA3L ) is not a common color so the local paint shop isn't going to have it on the shelf.

:shrug::shrug:

·
Super Moderator
11,263 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I have a few sources for paint, just looking for a guide as to how Much it might take. Hate to buy too much or even worse, not enough

·
Registered
6,933 Posts
A friend of mine, in high school. 45 years ago painted his Sunbeam Alpine. With rattle cans. He did it in his parents garage. What a mess. Dirt in the paint. The paint job came out really orange peeled. Never looked shiny. Even when buffed out. Personal I take my car, to a body shop. Have it Painted professional. Base coated, and clear.

I watched Ed China, on the TV show wheeler dealer, paint a Ford Capri, front fender. With rattle cans. He even ammitted it look bad.

·
Super Moderator
11,263 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I've used these guys on my 09 with great success !!
That was the place I was planning on using, just not sure of how much to purchase.

I have painted a number of cars back in the day, I hung plastic inside my parent's garage, took the glass out of a window to install a fan, cleaned everything and ran water on the floor to keep down the dust. they usually turned out good enough for an every day driver. As usual, it is 90% prep work

Just wasn't quite in the mood to build my own paint booth again and using a spray can, you can get by with a smaller area to keep clean

·
Registered
812 Posts
That would be neat, but it would cost you your opening statement, 'Trying to decide the best and most cost effective way to change the front end from white to 2008 red..'
Let's face it is a two door and hot rodders love a two door coupe.
There was the cross blade without a top, heck Chop the top too??????

·
Super Moderator
11,263 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Yeah, just thinking the paint would be neat. probably too tough to do on a short body though.

Torn between a body kit in Milwaukee and doing the paint myself. The body kit is cheap, but the 600 miles round trip would be a killer, and shipping would cost as much as I have in the parts I already bought. I still have some time before I will be able to start working on it as I need to get the other car going first.

I doubt I would ever chop the top on a smart! I need the head room!!

·
Super Moderator
11,263 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Ok,

I ordered the paint a bit ago, and the plan was to pull the front end and paint it up this weekend. I didn't plan on 90 plus degree temps all weekend... I did take care of some major scrap on the drivers side rear corner and it turned out excellent! Used some 400 grit paper to smooth it out and sprayed it up with the paint I ordered. Perfect match! with the clear coat on top, it looks like new! I am pleased but I should have taken a before and after picture, but I didn't. Now maybe next weekend I'll tackle the front end..... Looks like a major storm outside tonight!

I am a little concerned about the white paint underneath instead of the black plastic....

·
Registered
883 Posts
Ok,

I ordered the paint a bit ago, and the plan was to pull the front end and paint it up this weekend. I didn't plan on 90 plus degree temps all weekend... I did take care of some major scrap on the drivers side rear corner and it turned out excellent! Used some 400 grit paper to smooth it out and sprayed it up with the paint I ordered. Perfect match! with the clear coat on top, it looks like new! I am pleased but I should have taken a before and after picture, but I didn't. Now maybe next weekend I'll tackle the front end..... Looks like a major storm outside tonight!

I am a little concerned about the white paint underneath instead of the black plastic....
May be spray on a primer first.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts