Smart Car of America Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
115 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello.

Enjoying the first week with my ED.

Are there any modifications to reduce swat, nose dive and body roll without sacrificing the soft ride quality that would work in our EDs?

The roads in Atlanta where I drive are great, almost perfect most of the time, so I could give up a little of the cushioning to improve other aspects.

Thanks!

·
Registered
2,536 Posts
There is no softer suspension then the OE one. If you want the car to handle better you have to give up ride quality.

IIRC the ED suspension is different from the ICE version, heavier springs I think.

·
Registered
184 Posts
maybe it's my old back and next, but there's no way that I would describe my ED as having anything close to a soft ride. Quite the opposite, in fact. If I see any bumps or holes in the road, I cringe in advance and do all that I can to avoid them.

·
Registered
115 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
When I drove it around Manhattan I thought it was very bumpy, but where we drive in Atlanta have nearly perfect, newly paved roads. The car glides over the minor bumps. The ED is actually smoother than my ICE Mercedes SLK350 with sport suspension. The r171 gen SLK is known to have very uncomfortable suspension.

·
Registered
210 Posts
i would double check or call Smart Madness and check out their suspension set ups. Brabus set up is way expensive, but i hear that the H&Rs give a nice ride, or the Smart Madness Progressive lowering springs. they claim the rear springs setup will help reduce all the above.

·
17,350 Posts
maybe it's my old back and next, but there's no way that I would describe my ED as having anything close to a soft ride. Quite the opposite, in fact. If I see any bumps or holes in the road, I cringe in advance and do all that I can to avoid them.
Illinois has horrible roads. They get even worse in the Winter when water gets into road cracks and freeze, expanding said cracks. Then there's the fact that the smart suspension may be harder in the cold anyway.

I often look like a human bobblehead going down some of these roads. On particularly bad ones (where if you were following me, you could tell I was bouncing around) I've seen traffic behind me slow down.

A few nights ago, I hit a bump so hard it launched my passenger and I out of our seats. I was certain I destroyed one of my wheels...but thankfully my tyres are beefy and the car continued on without issue.

But on good roads? The car is sublime and quite relaxing. :)

All that said, the car's seats are REALLY comfortable to me, so the bumps actually don't bother me. Honestly, I'm more concerned about the car than myself. :D

·
Registered
3,454 Posts
Illinois has horrible roads. They get even worse in the Winter when water gets into road cracks and freeze, expanding said cracks. Then there's the fact that the smart suspension may be harder in the cold anyway.

I often look like a human bobblehead going down some of these roads. On particularly bad ones (where if you were following me, you could tell I was bouncing around) I've seen traffic behind me slow down.

A few nights ago, I hit a bump so hard it launched my passenger and I out of our seats. I was certain I destroyed one of my wheels...but thankfully my tyres are beefy and the car continued on without issue.

But on good roads? The car is sublime and quite relaxing. :)

Your RIGHT... A Smart should not be aloud to be sold above the Mason-Dixon Line...!!! Smart Sucks On Winter Northern Roads...<:-((

·
17,350 Posts
I'd say it's no worse than my childhood schoolbuses or old school Jeep Wranglers. It's bad, but it's not so so bad that it's truly an awful experience riding in it.

What's really bad? A lowered car or a sportscar. Those are truly bone-jarring, headache inducing, head banging rides.

·
Registered
36 Posts
for the most par I have found that my four 2 is smooth just doesn't handle short hard bumps well. it's like the shocks aren't there. :>(

·
Vendor
3,433 Posts
Hello.

Enjoying the first week with my ED.

Are there any modifications to reduce swat, nose dive and body roll without sacrificing the soft ride quality that would work in our EDs?

The roads in Atlanta where I drive are great, almost perfect most of the time, so I could give up a little of the cushioning to improve other aspects.

Thanks!

How I wish we our roads stayed smooth more than 6 months after being paved!

But to answer your question, we feel that since you have consistently smooth roads there in Atlanta then upgrading with a lowering kit will should not effect your ride quality too much as far as bump . The Eibach pro kit offered does lower your vehicle about 0.8" and has a increased spring rate over stock. This in turn should reduce body roll, squat etc. Whats great is these the Pro Kit is designed to work the OEM shocks.

·
Registered
29 Posts
Short wheelbase = bumpier ride

The cars I own and drive are all on the smaller side, though the ED is the smallest. There is nothing that will help with the bumpiness of the ride. I'm not sure if the OEM springs was dynamic or progressive, but most aftermarket lowering springs are progressive, meaning they will not feel much different in a straight line than the OEM (dynamic - if equipped) springs. Only when you start taking turns and working the suspension do you feel the firm feeling of the springs. Thicker/larger sway bars will help flatten the handling in the twisties more than the springs alone.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts