Smart Car of America Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
aka 'darksidechoes'
50 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey guys, new to the forum. Just bought a 2010 Cabrio Passion a few weeks ago. I never noticed it earlier but starting last week or so (it may have happened before but I never noticed) that when I start it and drive, the first few minutes in between shifts and acceleration, I hear a funny squeaking or creaking from the front right side. It SOUNDS plasticy but I am not sure.

It's not too loud and it seems to go away after the car is warmed up. I can't find anything online about it.

It's also hard to explain. It doesn't strike me as a terrible sound. Last car was a 2000 Passat 1.8T with almost 200K miles so I know a LITTLE BIT about cars but only from working on them out of necessity. I do not know much about Smarts.

I also know that it sounds like my right door speaker is blown but only on FM. MP3 hookup sounds fine...

Trip to the dealer is in order? I don't mind doing stuff myself and I would like an idea of what is going on before they tell me it's fine and do nothing about it. They're kind of dicks there.

·
Registered
5,072 Posts
Your first issue is the front sway bar bushings. I have a long tread about them. the second issue is the reception stinks on the stock radio.

·
aka 'darksidechoes'
50 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Very cool I appreciate that. So that's definitely it? I'm not too familiar with front end type stuff but it doesn't look too complicated. Is there a danger on not fixing it soon? What's the time frame and does it get worse?

I've never seen anyone describe what I hear so I'm not sure. Mine is definitely more subtle as I probably couldn't record it with my iPhone.

·
aka 'darksidechoes'
50 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
So in the end did you just do the new bushings? And which ones? Did you do anything with the control arm?

·
17,349 Posts
Regarding the radio: You have a Radio 10 (standard equipment in pre-facelift cabrios), so you also have a subwoofer and two tweeters in the car as well.

Here's an easy way to test your speakers:

On the left side of the headunit, there's a Bass/Treble button and a Balance button. First, with your MP3 source, balance the sound to the left side of the car.

Then minimise the Treble and max the Bass, listen to the sound.
Then minimise the Bass and max the Treble, listen to the sound.

Balance the car to the right and do the same. Repeat all steps for FM, CD, and AM.

In my car, it saves those equaliser settings for each mode of media. I can choose to have the Bass maxed out for USB, but minimised for FM and so on and so forth (though, I do have a facelifted 2012). There's a chance the older radios were like that too, and for some odd reason, the previous owner set the balance to the left for radio.

You may have to set your equaliser settings for each mode of media, as I had to do when I discovered the headunit does that.

·
Registered
5,072 Posts
First I lubed up the stock bushings with a silicone based lube. That worked for a while and I had to keep on doing it. Then, I replaced my bushings with some of Kanes (Evelution) bushings. still need to lube them but not as often.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts