Smart Car of America Forum banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
I just got my new smartie last Wednesday. Taking a bit to get used to the transmission, etc., but I do enjoy it.

One thing that's bugging me - driving me rather insane, actually - is a weird squeaking sound that I think is coming from one or both doors. Maybe the hatch, but I think it's the doors because I hear it from both sides, not from behind. It sounds like an ungreased hinge or something, but I haven't tried WD-40, I'm afraid to mess something up.

Sorry for the seedy share site, I'm used to being able to upload but I'm a newb to this forum. If there's a better way to link to a mp3 please let me know!

Audio of the sound:
http://rapidshare.com/files/271498142/squeakysmart.mp3

·
Registered
1,663 Posts
It could be something as simple as the weather stripping, especially if it's been hot in your area. I'd try applying some silicone spray to the rubber weather stripping around both doors and see if that helps.

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Passenger seatbelt rattling against seat or door loose?
Definitely neither. The sound almost always comes from the driver's door, and I've tried opening and re-shutting - really SLAMMING - it many times to try to get rid of it.

Unless there was some problem during installation of the door... if it's not just shut loose, but installed loosely, that may be the case.

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
It could be something as simple as the weather stripping, especially if it's been hot in your area. I'd try applying some silicone spray to the rubber weather stripping around both doors and see if that helps.
It's been hot, but not extremely so (upper '80s). Don't know what kind of heat it may have been exposed to en route.

I'll look into the silicone spray, thanks for the suggestion!

·
Registered
85 Posts
it actually sounds like one of the front springs creaking. Question, when stopped, if you rock the car back and forth do you hear it?

·
Registered
262 Posts
If it's the same squeaking as mine, it is from the door seals. I could reproduce the noise by pushing firmly on the door handle area. Just apply a rubber dressing/preservative to the seals. No big deal.

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
it actually sounds like one of the front springs creaking. Question, when stopped, if you rock the car back and forth do you hear it?
I haven't tried that - I will do so and report back! Thanks for the idea.

Thanks for the link! That sounds like what I was initially thinking the culprit was. I'll have to try things one at a time, process of elimination.

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
I went and shook my car all around last night.

No sound when pushing the frame from the outside (thought someone might see & think I was trying to tip the car!).

No sound when pushing on the hatch from the inside or outside.

No sound when pushing the door(s) from the inside or outside.

Then I sat inside, held the door and pushed up and down. Ta-da! Makes sense, as that's where I thought the sound was coming from and the up-down movement (bumps on the road) is what caused it in the first place. So I guess it's coming from either the latch or the weather stripping, as was suggested. My instinct is the latch, dunno why, but I guess I'll try remedies suggested in this and other threads on one, see if it fixes it, then the other if not.

Thanks everyone for posting your ideas/suggestions.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts