Smart Car of America Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
King of Smart Gadgetry
1,075 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello All....When I pull my Fortwo out of the garage in the mornings and drive it down my downhill driveway I have to ride the brakes because Max loves to take off like a greyhound out of the chute chasing that rabbitt. As I ride the brake cold the rear brakes squeal loudly. The birds fly out of the trees, the opossums run and the neighbors up the road have to close their windows. Back in the day car manufacturers here used to put a spring around the brake drum to quell it's oscillations. Maybe I shouldn't have painted them red.

But seriously has anyone else had a brake squeal problem with the REAR brakes? If so were you able to fix the problem?

·
Registered
1,471 Posts
Best thing to do is pull the drum & have a look at the brake linings & braking surface on the drums. The linings & drum braking surface may be glazed. Try sanding the lining & braking surface on the drums. You may have to make a light finish cut on the drums if they are concentric. Also make sure the wheel cylinders are not leaking.

·
Registered
1,635 Posts
In addition to what Bob said about lightly sanding the braking surfaces to break the glaze, I would also insure there is not a excess of brake dust build-up. You can blow it out with compressed air or aerosol brake cleaner. Just don't suck it up you nose.

A high-pitched squeal is the result of metal parts vibrating against each other at a high frequency. Use a bit of lithium brake lube made for the purpose to lightly lube the backing plates where the brake shoes contact them.

Also, green paint make less noise than red.

·
King of Smart Gadgetry
1,075 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I blowed out all the dust with compressed air (choke choke choke). I will pull the drums back off and use a can of Brakleen to clean them. I'll then lube the brake shoe contact points to the backing plate. The shoes are almost new, but I'll lightly sand them anyway and see if that cures the problem. I think that MB designed the brakes on the back to have really strong springs to keep the shoes pulled away from the drum so that there is "free wheelin' " to help gas mileage. And I would suppose the master cylinder has high capacity so there's always plenty of brake fluid to move the shoes out against the brake drum without running pedal travel too far. The new front brake pads shed really bad. After 200 miles the front wheels are completely coated bark with brake dust. I don't ride the brakes or use them excessiively but they were replaced just before I got the car, so when these wear out it's gonna be ceramics for me. I'll report if they still squeal. Thanks all for the suggestions. DCO

1 - 8 of 8 Posts