Smart Car of America Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
110 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi guys! So since yesterday I’ve got some annoying squeeking noise happening when I first start rolling. I press the brakes it stops, I only hear it when I’m slowly rolling. Brake pads are still nice and thick so I dunno wth is going on!! 🤷🏻‍♀️ Any suggestions on what I should check next? Thanks guys! 😊

·
10Year+ Supporting Member
3,564 Posts
If your cars lives outside in a high humidity climate, the brake discs will develop a thin coat of rust in a matter of hours. As you start to drive, it is removed with braking and usually the noise goes away. I live in Florida with terrible humidity and the brake rotors will develop a thin coat of rust just from washing the car and wheels and my car is always garaged.

·
Super Moderator
1,567 Posts
Same kind of thing happens to mine after I've driven it in rain and let it dry out in the garage. The rotors get a little coating of rust on them that needs to be "braked" off.

Len

·
Registered
110 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Yes that surface rust on the rotor is a pain in the butt!! This noise sounds like it’s coming from the brake drum in the rear. Guess we’ll have to take it out and see what’s going on. 🤦🏻‍♀️

·
Registered
52 Posts
Mine is doing that too. I think it's the wheel bearing for me though. I replaced brakes and drum and still squeaky. Sound got worse over time. Going to do the bearing this weekend to see if that fixes it.

·
Registered
7,213 Posts
Surface rust on the rotors, common on all brand of cars. Causing squeakin. It can happen on the rear drums too. The rear brake shoes, can be sticking too. Adjusting the star wheel They may need to be back off the inside the drum. You might have to take some white lithium grease, to that brake shoe contact points touching the backing plate In the rear. Do not get grease on the brake shoe surface.

·
Registered
110 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
We took a look at it today and decided to just shoot some brake clean in the gap before actually taking the drum off and see how that goes. Let me tell you there was so much brake dust in there it was dripping out black! Did it to all 4 tires. Put the tire back on and tested it out and we didn’t hear anything! No more squeek as of now. Gonna hope it was just a lot of brake dust in there and see how it goes. If it comes back then we’ll take the drum off and take a look in there. 👍🏻

1 - 7 of 7 Posts