Smart Car of America Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a 2016 ED and I love it so far. The other day, I was driving along and I happened to look down and notice that the red SRS / Airbag indicator light was illuminated. At first I wasn't sure if it had been on for a while or just came on. After getting to the office, I shut the car down and turned it back on and the light went away so I decided to forget about it. On the way home, after a few miles of driving, I noticed it pop back on. Thoughts are running through my head of how irritating it is to go to the dealer (although I have one located within 5 miles of my home, some of you folks might consider me lucky) but I decided do some research on the forum first. Nothing useful came up on a search for SRS besides the fact that it often needs to be reset at the dealership if you mess with any of the cabling under the seat etc. I learned that SRS stands for Seat Restraint System, I presume that it includes the seat belts and airbags and all related systems. Later that week, I had a passenger get into the passenger seat and they proclaimed that the seat belt on the passenger side was "stuck". It was then that I noticed that it was indeed stuck! I had loaded the car up with some supplies at the store and in putting the passenger seat in the fully back position, it caught the seat belt and jammed it a bit. After some finagling, it came loose and unlocked itself. Since that day, I have not had the SRS light. It has been about a month. Mystery solved. Hopefully no one else gets into this situation and / or can quickly rectify it like I did!

·
Registered
2,948 Posts
This exact same thing happened to the passenger belt on my '13. I set up an appointment and then just so happened to tinker with the passenger seat to find the belt locked up and after dislodging it everything was fine. I did report somewhere on this forum, but maybe somewhere else....

I do think SRS stands for supplemental restraint system.

I think restraint system is just the seat belt. The supplemental part is the ETR, emergency tensioning retractor, that the locked belt probably made "unhappy". ?

1 - 3 of 3 Posts