Smart Car of America Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Good day

My SRS light came on last week on my 2011 Passion,:confused: my neighbor who is a Master Mercedes mechanic, the car was connected to the "Star MB computer" and the determination results were fault code in the "Door preasure sensor". UNFORTUNATLY he is unable to get any further information, mainly due as he advised was the Smart technical information for resolving seems to be a propriety for Smart dealers only. Non of his MB sources could provide him any additional direction for parts or wiring diagram or tech sheets.

My question is can anyone direct to to a source to resolve this issue? Is there a parts fiche available for the Smart? And or is there a shop service manual available?

Thank you:D

·
Premium Member
5,764 Posts
ALLDATAdiy.com Leading Source of Factory Automotive Repair Information is the best source for information which originates from the manufacturer. It is about as close to a service manual as you will find.
As far as the star system, it is true that the dealer or service center has to subscribe for the smart software access for it to be active on their system.
And finally other than the above mentioned ALLDATA online reference, there is no manual.

There is a seat pressure sensor connected to a silicone filled mat in the seat that detects passenger presence of a certain weight. Some of the connectors under the seat have been an issue for others. If the connectors are disconnected while the battery is connected a fault will be set that has to be reset with a Star machine, most likely with the smart software access.
Some of us have learned the hard way about the seat connectors. Before removing seats, it is best to disconnect the battery for ten or fifteen minutes prior to disconnecting the connectors for the Seatbelt Restraint System or SRS as it is referred to.
Good luck with your project.

·
Registered
1,137 Posts
If you list the exact code (usually in the form of <Letter><number>, like P0022) you may find a similar thread here by searching on that. The text of a readout is based on that the reader thinks the code means. The code itself can vary for some cars, so what may be a "Door pressure sensor" in a C-class may be a latch switch failure on a smart...

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
As far as the star system, it is true that the dealer or service center has to subscribe for the smart software access for it to be active on their system.
And finally other than the above mentioned ALLDATA online reference, there is no manual.

There is a seat pressure sensor connected to a silicone filled mat in the seat that detects passenger presence of a certain weight. Some of the connectors under the seat have been an issue for others. If the connectors are disconnected while the battery is connected a fault will be set that has to be reset with a Star machine, most likely with the smart software access.
Some of us have learned the hard way about the seat connectors. Before removing seats, it is best to disconnect the battery for ten or fifteen minutes prior to disconnecting the connectors for the Seatbelt Restraint System or SRS as it is referred to.
Good luck with your project.[/quote]

Could you confirm, if I disconnect the battery, wait for 30-45 minutes, disconnect and re-connect the connectors under the seat, then reconnect the battery, will the SRS light remain lit, unless reset with the Star system?

Thanks for the ALLDATAdiy link!

·
Premium Member
5,764 Posts
Quote:
Could you confirm, if I disconnect the battery, wait for 30-45 minutes, disconnect and re-connect the connectors under the seat, then reconnect the battery, will the SRS light remain lit, unless reset with the Star system?
End Quote

I've only heard of one instance where the Star system was not required. The connectors were disconnected and reconnected AFTER disconnecting the battery for 20 minutes. The light was out upon reconnecting the battery.
It is certainly worth a try.
The worst case scenario is that you will still need to take it to a smart star machine service center.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
UPDATE; another customer referred me to another MB Tech who had worked on a few Smart cars; when he put it on the Start system the following fault codes came up: B11A1, B48/7 & B11A9, B48/8, "Door pressure sensor", but referred me to the dealer.. can anyone add to this?

I tried to search this forum and found this link; http://www.smartcarofamerica.com/for...library-17651/ but when I tried to connect I was directed to this link;
Mdw612, you do not have permission to access this page. This could be due to one of several reasons:

1. Your user account may not have sufficient privileges to access this page or you wish to enter the club pages and you're not a Supporting Member yet. Are you trying to edit someone else's post, access administrative features or some other privileged system?
  2. If you are trying to post, the administrator may have disabled your account, or it may be awaiting activation.
What's is that all about?

·
Registered
1,635 Posts
Parts B48/7 and B48/8 are the impact sensors for the head/throax air bags in the restraint system. They are mounted inside the driver's and passenger's doors, respectively. Access requires removal of the outer door panel and cutting the vapor barrier in the door. They are about 1/3 of the way down the door from the top and forward of the window regulator.

While some service and repair information is available through ALLDATA.diy, as with all European vehicles, the diagnostic information is only found in the diagnostic tool.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Rustedwrench, Happy New Year, I trust your holiday was a good one! FYI followup, due to having a new pacemaker implanted six weeks ago, I haven't had an opportunity to take my passion to the dealer, As I go aback to the Dr on this week, but I have a question, if I were to have the tech clear the codes, if there is a problem with the sensors the codes should return correct? Is there a source to purchase the parts you mentioned? (B48/7 & B48/8) thank you for your information!

·
Registered
1,635 Posts
Rustedwrench, Happy New Year, I trust your holiday was a good one! FYI followup, due to having a new pacemaker implanted six weeks ago, I haven't had an opportunity to take my passion to the dealer, As I go aback to the Dr on this week, but I have a question, if I were to have the tech clear the codes, if there is a problem with the sensors the codes should return correct? Is there a source to purchase the parts you mentioned? (B48/7 & B48/8) thank you for your information!
You are correct. If the fault codes are cleared and there is a fault with or related to the sensors the codes would return. I would think it odd that you suddenly have faults for both door sensors. If it were my car I would recommend some further testing before buying parts. Unfortunately, all the diagnostic test plans and data for smart/Mercedes vehicles is in the factory diagnostic system.

The sensors in question would be dealer-only items, I would think. You might contact smart online parts if you get to the point of buying parts.

Smart Online Parts

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
FYI Update: took my Smart out to the Cherry Hill NJ dealer on Saturday, received a call today, the Service Manager advised that they checked out all the necessary diagnostics and they could find nothing wrong with the air bag sensors in the doors, which what was the codes showing on the Star Computer, he advised that they will reset and clear the codes out, so I ordered a Spare Key and should be able to pick up the car on Wednesday. I will up date this if further information becomes necessary! I wish to thank RustedWrench for his help and information!!!

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
FYI I was very happy with the Cherry Hill Smart Dealer, they took quick care of the issue, I am one who feels that they deserve to be paid for their knowledge, tools and the high cost of running a shop, so it was a slight sting, but well worth knowing the outcome.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts