Smart Car of America Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
46 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
About 4 years ago, I went to 5" wide fronts with the oem 175/55 rear tires and 6" rears with 195/50 Bridgestone RE-11. The RE-11 is a fairly high performance (sticky) tire which I thought I might need for pulling the jetski up the launch ramp, but it wasn't really necessary. Car has behaved fine for 4 years.

Fast forward, just replaced worn out rears with new Kumho all-season AST's in 195/50. Car is terrible: stability control is coming on during turns on an occasional basis and high speed (60 MPH) stability is terrible. Although I'm not getting a warning light for stability control at high speeds, it actually feels as if the rear brakes are working as if in corners. Dimensions of the two different tires are supposedly the same. Ideas, or does anyone have experience?

·
Registered
536 Posts
All season tires, and performance tire are going to grip differently. You got used to a performance tire. Now you don't have that grip, and you are still driving on the ragged edge.

When I went from the stock Goodyear tires on my 2010 Corolla to kumho all seasons, it completely changed the car. I really hated those kumho tires.

·
Registered
3,454 Posts
Mark each tire on the Car at the 6:00 position. Now roll the car and see it all 4 are at the 6:00 position after one turn... They should be the same if diameter, and pressure adjustment is right...

Report back

·
Registered
1,635 Posts
Many new tires can feel squirrely for awhile. Different brands or constructions front to rear can do some weird things as well. I put new tires on a Honda Civic Si I once owned and it felt as though the rear was going to pass the front on turns. Both front and rear were Michelin tires but different models. I swapped them front to rear and the problem was gone. Strange.

·
17,346 Posts
The problem is with the Kumhos. If you're going to be buying new tyres, always try to buy at least the same brand of tyre...and hopefully compound too...

I bet the Kumhos are trying to swap places with Bridgestones up front.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts