Smart Car of America Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi all, got a smart forfour
I recently bumped the back of another car and had to get a new headlight and bumper, I also somehow made my cruise control 'inoperative'... I dont know what the start stop is linked to, my mate has run a smart test on it and all tests come back as green, we've tried changing the fuse for another... not much on the internet either... can anybody suggest what I could have damaged in the front of the vehicle to break the start stop or better yet, methods of repair and parts that may need replacing?

Thanks in advance for your help!
BC

·
Super Moderator
28,795 Posts
We didn't get the 453 forfour here and the 453 fortwo didn't come with start stop in North America. There is supposedly a way to disable start stop with the Mercedes STAR/DAS system, and a low battery can cause it not to work according to Evilution, but that will trigger an error message on the instrument cluster. If the car runs fine otherwise, just leave it as is...
As for the cruise control, is it the radar type with the sensor mounted in the grill? If so, it may have been damaged in the shunt. :)

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks J! Been reading online and apparently the air flow sensor could be damaged which has a link to cruise control/start stop, do you know if this would be linked?

·
Registered
59 Posts
Here in the UK we get start stop as standard on the 453 as unfortunately it is mandatory. I totally detest it on my 453 fortwo cabrio, and press the disable button every journey. Best without it because the minimal savings on fuel is offset against engine wear and battery lifetime reduced dramatically, (2 or 3 years with start stop compared to around 7 years without using start stop)

As for front mounted radar tied into cruise control to brake if something in the way, it is an optional extra or only on top trim models. My lower trim Passion model does not have radar. But all 453's come with cruise control.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Cheers Colin, had no idea start stop or cruise did that to the engine.. main reason I have to get it repaired is because its leased. I just don't know where to start in trying to diagnose the problem, nothing in the manual despite the dash telling me to check it and Mercedes cannot advise what part that is responsible for start stop haha

·
Registered
1,496 Posts
Cheers Colin, had no idea start stop or cruise did that to the engine.. main reason I have to get it repaired is because its leased. I just don't know where to start in trying to diagnose the problem, nothing in the manual despite the dash telling me to check it and Mercedes cannot advise what part that is responsible for start stop haha
is your car still under warranty? If so, dealer will fix it.

·
Registered
339 Posts
Depending on they type of cruise control, it may disabled if there is a malfunction in door closure detection. In other words, of the system thinks a door, trunk window or trunk are ajar, the cruise control will not work. With the bump your Smart took to the rear ended, it would be worth a look at the window and door switches.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Depending on they type of cruise control, it may disabled if there is a malfunction in door closure detection. In other words, of the system thinks a door, trunk window or trunk are ajar, the cruise control will not work. With the bump your Smart took to the rear ended, it would be worth a look at the window and door switches.
Thanks Vadsoom, yeah I heard about this also. Checked the doors near front but cant see anything ajar at all, looked also at the display and no door open warnings, also damage was in the front, more on right hand driver side, have damaged the crash bar so thought it might be that.. will recheck all of it tonight though (y)

1 - 9 of 9 Posts