Smart Car of America Forum banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
59 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My starter clicks when the key is turned. The motor does not spin. I've replaced the starter, checked the battery, attached a different battery just to be sure, still won't start. I've checked the ignition fuse. I've checked the few ground wires I've been able to find around the car, all of them were well connected. I've checked the main wire to the alternator, it was fine.

Any ideas, guys?

·
Registered
2,550 Posts
Does the gear indicator show either P or N, when you are trying to start. Does the alternator turn freely, if the car has sat for many weeks.

·
Registered
2,550 Posts
reset
1. Push down and hold in brake
2. turn key to on (#1 position)
3. shift from P-R-N-D then manual mode (+/-) then back to D-N-R-P
4. turn key off
5. start car

·
Registered
2,550 Posts
If you have not already I would confirm the replacement starter actually works correctly.

If that is not it ... I would try to find someone with a STAR machine or equivalent to scan for error codes.

·
Registered
2,550 Posts
If you have a multimeter, you can check if there is any power getting to the starter. I can not recall if the 451 directly powers the starter from the SAM or if there is an external relay, those would be the next potential points of failure, along with wiring to the starter. Check for continuity. That may exhaust any items that could be the problem.

·
Registered
427 Posts
I had a similar problem and replaced the battery only to find the problem was still there. Digging around a bit, I found the crimp-on terminal on the starter power cable had corroded so badly there was no longer a reliable connection. I replaced the cable and coated the connector with some "liquid electrical tape" to improve water resistance and all was well with the world.

·
Super Moderator
29,027 Posts
Back in the old days that would be a bad starter solenoid. When you say both starters work they should spin the engine. If not, sounds like the solenoid is not engaging...:shrug:

·
Registered
59 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
So, I pulled out the multimeter and it looks like I'm getting power to the connection that fires the solenoid, but no power to the connection that actually spins the motor.

·
Registered
427 Posts
How does the connection look? If it's corroded, you might get the correct voltage to the meter, but have insufficient current under load due to increased resistance. In other words... check the cable on both ends. You might be able to just clean up the connection points with a wire brush and be back up and running again.

·
Registered
59 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
I found out what was wrong.

A few weeks ago, I had lowered the engine to do a valve adjustment. Apparently, the wire that runs from the starter to the alternator wasn't in place when I put the engine back in, and while driving the insulation rubbed off, resulting in a short and, ended up taking out the 200 amp fuse for the battery.

Wrapped the wire with some insulating tape, secured it properly, replaced the fuse and now we're back on the road.

·
Registered
11,471 Posts
I found out what was wrong.

A few weeks ago, I had lowered the engine to do a valve adjustment. Apparently, the wire that runs from the starter to the alternator wasn't in place when I put the engine back in, and while driving the insulation rubbed off, resulting in a short and, ended up taking out the 200 amp fuse for the battery.

Wrapped the wire with some insulating tape, secured it properly, replaced the fuse and now we're back on the road.
Glad it was an easy, cheap fix :D

·
Super Moderator
29,027 Posts
The rest of the story...

"A few weeks ago, I had lowered the engine to do a valve adjustment."

That would have been great information for the first post.... :shrug:

·
Registered
935 Posts
"A few weeks ago, I had lowered the engine to do a valve adjustment."

That would have been great information for the first post.... :shrug:
You beat me to it.
I saw his post last night, but I was too tired to login and say the samething you did.
I would think the fact that you had recently done engine work involving moving the engine around and now the car doesn't start, would be hard to forget.:shrug:

·
Registered
1 Posts
reset
1. Push down and hold in brake
2. turn key to on (#1 position)
3. shift from P-R-N-D then manual mode (+/-) then back to D-N-R-P
4. turn key off
5. start car
I cannot thank you enough for this tip. I was about to get my car towed and invest in having the starter replaced, which I understand is a day's worth of labor. This reset worked for me!

1 - 18 of 18 Posts