Smart Car of America Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My starter sticks when I start..not every time but often..mechanic thinks it may be computer issue.
Loud whining sound on cold starts..last 1 minute only. Someone said maybe could be a pump for pollution?

·
Registered
290 Posts
My starter sticks when I start..not every time but often..mechanic thinks it may be computer issue.
Loud whining sound on cold starts..last 1 minute only. Someone said maybe could be a pump for pollution?
The loud while is your secondary air pump. For emissions.
What do you mean your starter sticks? Do you have a 451?

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Is it normal for this whining sound to be so loud that neighbours comment on how loud it is?...451?..not sure what that means but I mean when starter engages it stays on for a few seconds..before releasing itself..like a stuck solenoid..mechanic thinks it may be my computer sending bad message

·
Registered
290 Posts
Is it normal for this whining sound to be so loud that neighbours comment on how loud it is?...451?..not sure what that means but I mean when starter engages it stays on for a few seconds..before releasing itself..like a stuck solenoid..mechanic thinks it may be my computer sending bad message
It would be hard to describe the exact loudness of the air pump. It's reasonable loud. I guess like a hair dryer.

451 refers to the generation of your smart. 450 was the first gen which we didn't get in the us but you can find some that were imported by some company. 451 is the most common one. I think they started being made in 2008 up until 2015.

They way the infinity works in the 451 is:
Insert the key, turn to position one, you have to wait about 5 seconds for the computer to boot, then turn the key to starter and release. The ECU will crank as necessary until the engine starts. Basically you don't have to hold the key in starter position. So does your starter continue cranking after the engine is already running?

·
Registered
847 Posts
When the secondary air pump starts to go bad they "Can" emit a very loud noise. Yes that loud. If you have a cell phone it most likely has a voice recorder. Record the noise and post it on here or ask one of the mods for help if you don't know how. One of us may be able to help you more. A video would be better. Showing exactly what you are doing from turning the key to the noise following engine start.
Good luck

·
King of Smart Gadgetry
1,067 Posts
The emission air pump runs for about 30 seconds while the heating elements on both 02 sensors are warming up to temp. To me the engine running for a minute on the rich side shouldn't be a big deal, but apparently Mercedes Benz thought it was a big deal. So they installed the air pump. If you open your tailgate and open the engine cover you can see the pump on your right almost over the fender well that is over the rear tire. I don't know if just unplugging the pump would throw an engine code or not. I haven't tried that. But my guess is it would. DCO

·
Registered
388 Posts
The emission air pump had to be replaced on my 2015 Passion. $650 at Mercedes dealership. Someone else commented at the time that is what they were charged as well.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts