Smart Car of America Forum banner

Would you rather have the cookout at a pavilion or at a site as originally planned?

• Site as originally planned.

Votes: 2 50.0%
  • Pavilion and I would chip in based on my party size and group size.

Votes: 2 50.0%
  • Pavilion, but I would rather not chip in.

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • I am still not attending.

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
169 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
I figured that we should have a thread specific to who's bring what.

To vote on whether or not you are going to come, please visit the original State Park Cookout thread.

For the most part, I recommend that everyone bring one thing, whether it be chips, salsa, burgers, dogs, beans, drinks, condiments etc. and bring what you like.

In addition to the food, we need handling materials. I will be bringing some reusable plastic plates, forks, knives and spoons(?). Let's be "smart" about these things.

Depending on space in my smart, I may also be bringing a bucket for any food waste... No limits beyond "No liquids" and "No excrement" (for those who decide to bring a pet). I have begun working with Bokashi, which allows a majority of the traditional compost no-no's because it is a fermentation process that makes it easier to compost those materials without attracting wildlife.

And a final note... I am including a poll to determine if we might want to move the cookout to a pavilion to increase attendance. Three of the pavilions are $75 and the fourth is $150. If your vote is "I don't care", don't vote... I forgot to throw that in."

I'm not quite certain if Andy will or will not make it to the cookout, so I am not including him in the list below.

Please note that bold items are primary items. Non-bold are secondaries that are not expected of you, but you are welcome to bring if no one else volunteers.

Right now the tally is:
ColonelPan1c +1: coleslaw, potato salad, and chips (please pick a primary)
nconantj (me) +3: Zweigles and/or Hoffmans (Rochester and CNY local brands respectively) hot dogs, beans
SkippyThorson +1: Pepsi and Dew

·
Registered
1,105 Posts
Thanks for making a new thread to consolidate things for us. Very kind of you. :D

I'll do drinks; I will specifically bring a 12-pack each of Pepsi and Mountain Dew. Cola and lemon-lime pretty much covers everyone, right? :) I'll also bring a thing of little water bottles for non-soda people.

*You can take me off for chips; I don't know who'd like what. I'll just be the refreshments-guy.

·
Registered
169 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Except for the few that absolutely cannot tolerate Pepsi or Dew... They can volunteer to bring what they like.

·
Registered
1,105 Posts
Bumping this because I'm sure there are more Glen drivers who want to do the cookout.
Thanks! Personally, I voted for the campsite because I don't wouldn't want to pay for the pavilion, but I also wouldn't just join in for free if folks want to go that route. (Hey... As the organizer, don't I get a free pass on things that cost money? :p I joke.)

·
Registered
169 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I hate to just bump a thread, but we're less than three weeks away from Watkins Glen.

Please, please, please, if you are planning to attend the cookout, say something and volunteer to bring something. It would not be fun to plan for 10 and get 20... Likewise, planning for 10 and getting 4 (though at least there might be something left to eat the next day).

At this point, getting a pavilion is very unlikely, so campsite is where it's likely to be.

·
Registered
343 Posts
I'll say potato salad as the primary, but if there's anything that's missing and needed, let me know and I'll be sure that it gets taken care of.

Edit- +1 on the cabin/campsite.

Anybody know what the Watkins Glen policy is on adult beverages is? Or are we avoiding that sort of thing?

I can also bring charcoal, I just bought a 20lb bag of lump charcoal, so I could definitely spare some.

·
Registered
169 Posts
Discussion Starter #11 (Edited)
ColonelPan1c said:
I'll say potato salad as the primary, but if there's anything that's missing and needed, let me know and I'll be sure that it gets taken care of.
Just make sure that you keep that salad at 35-40 degrees, especially if you make it at home. If buying at a store same-day, try to wait until closer to dinner. It is generally ok if cold foods are above 40 for less than four hours... beyond that, they are generally considered unsafe. (If I can find it, I'll review my ServSafe book for the "catering" related stuff, which is a little less stringent, this evening.)

Pam and I will attend. Let me know what is needed and I will pick up thing there in the Glen.
Right now there's 'tater salad, dogs, Pepsi and Dew for sure. Some people like dogs in buns (my father), others like them as fork and knife with beans on top (my mother and myself). Chips and beans are not primaries for anyone, so those are a possibility.

Alcohol should be bring your own (though you may share with all those who are 21 or older [probably all]). I am considering bringing one of my remaining bottles of 2012 homemade strawberry wine, which I will be willing to share with anyone 21 or older, though sample sizes are pretty much harmless.

Beyond that, whatever floats your boat is the best I can give you.

For some reason, I can no longer edit my original post, so I've copied and updated the tally below. This tally supersedes the tally in my original post.

Right now the tally is:
ColonelPan1c +1: coleslaw, potato salad, and chips
nconantj (me) +3: Zweigles and/or Hoffmans (Rochester and CNY local brands respectively) hot dogs, beans
SkippyThorson +1: Pepsi and Dew
racerrobcc4: Chips
nmcl714 +1: TBD

·
Registered
343 Posts
Just make sure that you keep that salad at 35-40 degrees, especially if you make it at home. If buying at a store same-day, try to wait until closer to dinner. It is generally ok if cold foods are above 40 for less than four hours... beyond that, they are generally considered unsafe. (If I can find it, I'll review my ServSafe book for the "catering" related stuff, which is a little less stringent, this evening.)
I'm pretty knowledgeable in the world of food safety.... Trust me, I don't take any chances when it comes to my kitchen. I was likely just going to pick some up at wally world for simplicity's sake anyways. I don't know that I'm going to be spending a ton of time at the wine festival itself. Wanted to do some hiking. I'll probably just pick it up after that.

·
Registered
169 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
I'm pretty knowledgeable in the world of food safety.... Trust me, I don't take any chances when it comes to my kitchen. I was likely just going to pick some up at wally world for simplicity's sake anyways.
Not everyone is as food safety concious as the two of us, and I didn't know your state of awareness before now. I would rather be safe than sorry by putting the warning out there.

I don't know that I'm going to be spending a ton of time at the wine festival itself. Wanted to do some hiking.
My GF and I are planning to walk the glen gorge on Sunday. It'll be her second time and my "I have no clue... at least 3rd probably more," time. Friday on the way down and Monday on our way back, we'll be stopping at some waterfalls along our route, along with some south of Watkins Glen. Most are roadside visible, though better views may take trivial amounts of hiking. Neither of us is really fit and after visiting Eternal Flame Falls in Orchard Park, NY, it is pretty much an unspoken agreement that hiking is mostly out of the question for now (unless it is about all we do for the day).

·
Registered
1,105 Posts
I can pick up burgers and burger rolls. I just grabbed Charcoal and a spatchula and a grill brush.
Thanks for the offer! We do have a grille on our pit, so you're set, chef!

As an attempt to sort of kind of be a little bit healthy today, I'm going to grab some waters instead of just soda. :p

Still on for any time after 6:00pm - 123C, Oneida.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts