Smart Car of America Forum banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Super Moderator
28,237 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
On smartusainsider.com...

With the recent world premiere of the C453, we wanted to make sure that we took a moment to personally share some of the car's highlights and hopefully answer a few questions along the way. We are planning on premiering the C453 at North American auto shows early next year however actual USA-based sales will not begin until late next year. Until then, let us walk you through what this much-anticipated smart will entail.

When guests arrive at our auto shows, they will be greeted by a car that has a definitive air of 'smart,' but with a sportier feel. The most noticeable updates will be found within the car's proportions. Thanks to a 4 inch wider track, the C453's wheels are positioned further outwards, which maximizes interior space even more and gives drivers better on-road agility. The front headlights are now beveled, following the curve of the hood and framed out by a larger, honeycomb-patterned grill.

Innovation within the safety arena remains a high priority. The C453's frame contains concentrated proportions of ultra-high strength hot-formed and multiphase steel. Advance systems previously reserved for upgraded models will be standardized and includes Crosswind Assist, Forward Collision Warning and Lane Keeping Assist.

Peek inside the car and you will find a turbocharged engine that enables ample torque even at slower speeds, making it an economical solution for urban traffic woes. Drivers can also choose between a five-speed manual transmission or a twinamic six-speed dual clutch transmission.

Traces of Mercedes-Benz's world-class engineering are evident in everything from a new front axle design adopted from the C-Class to crash safety testing, air bag design and telescoping steering columns.

Though the C453 embodies many fresh enhancements, it is important to note that we've never once lost sight of the original, core values that brought smart into fruition in the first place. Sustainability, urbanization and individualization are still at the forefront of all our processes. By harnessing the combined power of old and new, we are certain that the C453 is set to re-establish our claim as the original city car.

Thanks for your interest,

Mark Webster

General Manager of smart USA
:)

·
Registered
4,295 Posts
Well, that puts to bed several of the rumors. Although he still doesn't address the forfour issue...

I'd buy another fortwo, but I'd like to see my wife in a forfour... Not that I could ever convice her to go that route...:)

·
Registered
449 Posts
So that means you guys (and presumably Canada, by extension) will be getting the 90 HP engine, as well as both the transmission options! Do you think they wised up on their own, or did they actually listen to what people wanted a little bit?

·
Premium Member
7,592 Posts
"Peek inside the car and you will find a turbocharged engine that enables ample torque even at slower speeds, making it an economical solution for urban traffic woes. Drivers can also choose between a five-speed manual transmission or a twinamic six-speed dual clutch transmission."
OMG, will someone dial 911, I think I may have had THE BIG ONE! :bigthumbup:

:Thankyou:Mother Daimler has heard (some) of our prayers!:worship:

:woohoo:
:spots:
Hey Webster, where do I get in line - I've got $99 bucks burning a hole in my pocket . . .

·
17,343 Posts
Turbo? Available Manual?

Where do I drop my $99? I gotta start saving!!!! :)

·
Premium Member
5,764 Posts
Well, that puts to bed several of the rumors. Although he still doesn't address the forfour issue...

I'd buy another fortwo, but I'd like to see my wife in a forfour... Not that I could ever convice her to go that route...:)
Yeah, I'd like to see a forfour as our second vehicle, but convincing my other half, is quite unlikely.

·
Premium Member
5,764 Posts
Great news on the turbo and trannies. An affordable For 4 would bring more people into the showrooms.
This is what Penske determined was so desperately needed back in 09 or 10 to enhance showroom traffic, once the first wave of two seaters sold.
FORFOURS will appeal to the same group that Saturn appealed to, especially with its' enhanced safety.

·
Registered
912 Posts
Turbo engine and row-my-own-gears transmission has my interest. Now we just need to see about colour availability ... I don't want white in the interior, it's too hard to keep clean ...

·
Premium Member
5,764 Posts
I'm sure time will tell.
Where there is a will there is a way. :D

The things people think about when they can't sleep! :D Notice the time of these last three posts!:eek:

1 - 20 of 20 Posts