Smart Car of America Forum banner
1 - 20 of 32 Posts

·
Super Moderator
1,890 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
This dealership was mentioned in another thread, so I was curious about them so I talked to them today. They have over 500 Smart electrics in stock, most of them with 20K miles or so with a price of $5500 or so. The salesman I talked to said that they have an arrangement with Mercedes to buy them, but didn't go into details. He also said that they do not carry any Cars To Go castoffs, but I didn't look at their entire inventory to verify that. I asked if they tested the batteries and of course they did - all the batteries are fine, yada, yada... I mentioned the issue some of our members have had with the 12v battery dying and causing the HV battery to brick, but none of that has happened to any of their cars. He also said that they do ship the cars if necessary.

https://www.smartcarcity.com/inventory.aspx

Len
2014 EV Coupe 18,000 miles
2014 EV Cabriolet 12,000 miles

·
Super Moderator
MY08 cabrio MY09 Brabus MY21 Bolt
8,102 Posts
They have over 500 Smart electrics in stock, most of them with 20K miles or so with a price of $5500 or so. The salesman I talked to said that they have an arrangement with Mercedes to buy them, but didn't go into details. I asked if they tested the batteries and of course they did - all the batteries are fine, yada, yada... I mentioned the issue some of our members have had with the 12v battery dying and causing the HV battery to brick, but none of that has happened to any of their cars.

https://www.smartcarcity.com/inventory.aspx
At $5,000 per, that's $2.5 Million at retail!

Quite a Business Model??

No one in their right mind would have that much ED inventory unless they are getting them @ a couple grand each??? Impossible to believe that in all the ED's they have flipped they haven't had one HV brick!

Update - they have 31 smart ED's (63 ED & ICE combined) available which makes more sense and have sold 456.

·
Registered
1,384 Posts
"They have over 500 Smart electrics in stock"...

Car Salesman. They remind me of another kind of chief executive salesman we hear a lot about....

A view of their business shows this place in what looks like Staten Island's junkyard district... Not a single smart car is visible.

Attachments

·
Registered
1,384 Posts
That's where I bought my smart. They were great people to deal with. Mine only had 4700 miles on it so I paid about 6k. Car was like new and exactly as they said it would be. Dealt with Gene.
I assume they delivered the car down your way? So I assume that they don't own a physical facility where the cars are stored, but instead are a remote broker of some kind?

·
Registered
105 Posts
Mine was from nj, dealer checked all good, then took 2 other dealers, second one found bad battery and replaced it. Nyc dealer cared more about selling me tires for $1000 then making car run without errors

Sent from my SM-N960U using Tapatalk

·
Registered
2017 453 Passion ED/EQ
404 Posts
Yes. The car lot holding all the smart cars is near the corner of Arthur Kill rd and Bloomingdale Rd, along side the arrow shaped gas station at the intersection. I saw them last week, the lot was full. The back side of Bloomingdale Car Wash is at the end of the lot. The broken stalked yellow ED was all the way at the end. Art (Artem Pogosyan), who I believe owns or manages Smart Car City, is “aware” of this bricking issue with the ED’s, per a text reply I got from him. I saw no power cords at the lot, but he had at least 3 smarts in the garage, one I test drove with him in immaculate condition. Since I live about 90 miles away, I would have to have the car shipped for about $200-$300 if I had purchased it. I may still buy one yet, great prices as you can see on the website.

·
Super Moderator
1,890 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
90 miles - you might be able to make that on a full charge. Worst case is, find a charging station and charge it for an hour on the way.

Len
2014 EV Coupe 18,000 miles
2014 EV Cabriolet 12,000 miles

·
Registered
2017 453 Passion ED/EQ
404 Posts
I would happily drive it home if the trip was a non-urban ride. Unfortunately, the greater NYC metro area sits directly between my house and Staten Island. 90% urban, 10% suburban, crazy traffic the whole time. I'd be forced to choose either insane highway speeds or pick through stop-and-go red-light green-light city blocks to find my way home. UGH, I'll gladly pay $300 to avoid that $h!t.

·
Registered
1,252 Posts
I Vouch for Smart Car City Staten Island as a legitimate physical location in Staten Island. They have a lot with lot with the advertised cars on site and a Office located at the listed location.

Note that I have never purchased a vehicle sight unseen so I cant speak to the aspect of deliveries and such.

However I live in NYC and purchased My 2014 Smart Passion with 23,000 from this location. They took care of plates and registration and I drove it off the lot. At that time I took it to Mercedes Benz Manhattan where car was serviced and the rear axle was replaced under warranty due to a leak. I have also recommended Smart Car City to friends and coworkers who have also purchased Smarts from from this location and they are happy with their cars. The arrangement with Mercedes was explained to me as Smart Car City gets off lease cars. Real location, real sales.... with that proceed as you would with any used car dealer. Make your best deal trust your instinct.

This is my car the day of purchase Sept 2017

Same car with a little TLC and personal touches.

The car with some upgrades and mods during the One Lap Of America Tour May 2019

Thumbs Up Smart car city Staten Island

1 - 20 of 32 Posts