Smart Car of America Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello there,

Just bought a 2008 ForTwo -it had a flat battery so I replaced it and started the car for the first time. When I take the key out there is a static/popping sound coming from the speakers even though the radio is not on.

When I put the key in and switch the radio on the popping sound goes away.

I see here that others may have had a similar problem - does anyone know of a way of fixing this problem?

Please help - this is driving me mad!!

Thanks,

Kenny in Ireland

·
Premium Member
5,764 Posts
I think I remember the problem is in the head unit. Might be a great time to upgrade the radio. :D
Obviously the radio is not powering down the amp at least not fully anyway.
A radio shop might be able to repair it if you can find one. Probably easiest just to replace it. If that doesn't do it, you might have a loose ground somewhere.

·
Registered
883 Posts
The radio can be powered for a short time without the car being 'on'. So there is a live power feed to the radio. I would think something with the head unit. Might be time to replace.

·
Registered
7,047 Posts
The radio can be turned on anytime without the key in the ignition. If the noise is minor. Might not want to worry about it.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Cubby

I have the same problem. Found a used radio on ebay. No help. It may also be defective but I suspct the problem is elsewhere. Anybody found a solution?

1 - 7 of 7 Posts