Smart Car of America Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Here’s one for ya. My steering is acting odd. I’ve tried the battery disconnect but no effect. When I start the car I get no warning lights. But when I turn the wheel I get the warning light and the steering feels different. It has power steering but I’ve never had this happen. Anyone else experienced this? It’s like the wheel does not try to center itself, it just stays where you aim it when you release the wheel. I use this Smart as a “toad”. I tow it behind a motorhome. I’ve towed it thousands of miles. When you tow a Smart you attach a bungee cord from the seat to the bottom of the steering wheel. I hooked it up the other day and forgot to fasten the bungee and when I pulled the motorhome forward about 20 feet I felt the front wheels whip back and forth rapidly right and left. (Reason for the bungee) I stopped, hooked up the bungee and problem solved. No that it’s unhooked I’ve been having this problem. -Jim

·
Registered
426 Posts
If you like a project, it might be worth checking the wiring harness that feeds it. In both my 2008 and my 2010 I have found several spots where the insulation has failed, all have been minor thus far, but who knows.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts