Smart Car of America Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I had a strange steering issue with my smart appear about 10 days ago. All of a sudden the steering seemed to get really sloppy. I had found the car (have had it 8 months) to have very tight steering. All of a sudden it did not.

Took it into dealership today and they had their Smart ED expert look it over and test drive it. They looked at it mechanically and the computer values. In the end they said they found nothing wrong. Which is a relief I guess. Also nice they did not charge me.

Now I don't know if it was all in my head. I really felt like it changed (a lot) but the mechanic even compared it to another Smart ED that was in for service and said they were the same.

Does anybody know how Smart ED steering works? Electric control? Boost? Service guy was saying the car is so governed by the software and car is so new they can't be sure exactly what is going on all the time. Could be a software bug!

I guess I'll live with the sloppier steering (or the fact that I might be losing my mind ;-) ).

If anybody else has a steering issue with your Smart ED post here.

·
Registered
72 Posts
I had a strange steering issue with my smart appear about 10 days ago. All of a sudden the steering seemed to get really sloppy. I had found the car (have had it 8 months) to have very tight steering. All of a sudden it did not.

Took it into dealership today and they had their Smart ED expert look it over and test drive it. They looked at it mechanically and the computer values. In the end they said they found nothing wrong. Which is a relief I guess. Also nice they did not charge me.

Now I don't know if it was all in my head. I really felt like it changed (a lot) but the mechanic even compared it to another Smart ED that was in for service and said they were the same.

Does anybody know how Smart ED steering works? Electric control? Boost? Service guy was saying the car is so governed by the software and car is so new they can't be sure exactly what is going on all the time. Could be a software bug!

I guess I'll live with the sloppier steering (or the fact that I might be losing my mind ;-) ).

If anybody else has a steering issue with your Smart ED post here.
I know this is a late reply, but in my 2009, mine did the same thing....until I SET THE TIRE pressures COLD. I see you are in Ontario. Temps can really vary , and you may have differentials that don't set the TPMS off, but tires pressures are uneven, at the time, but confuse the electric power steering. Here in Houston, we get some cold days, and that's what sets the TPMS off, but before that, I notice that when a big 18 wheeler is around me, I can get blown around, and that ever happens if my tire pressures are right. In the Club here, I hear less savvy members tell me they don't like to drive their smart on the freeway, because of getting blown around. I ask if they have set their tire pressures, and they say they haven't gotten a warning, so NO they haven't . I have never driven such a great car on the Freeway when pressures are right... But boy, I can sure tell when they are NOT right.
My steering, weaving on the freeway sent me frustrated to the dealer last year. They drove it, said they noticed it, compared other smarts on a drive, and couldn't find anything either!!Before this go to the Dealer experience, was right after I had worn some tires to the point they started getting punctures easily. The tire shop said one punctured tire was in the sidewall, so I had to replace two tires. So, I had two New Tires, and the two old ones.
I slept on this for about a week. I finally thought about these tire differentials and how important they are on the smarts ability to be agile on the road, and bought a second two new tires. Problem solved. You would think the technicians would've picked that up, but alas, I have figured out they are a production shop, and turn the cars ASAP!
As a side note here, right as soon as I picked the 2009 up from this supposed diagnostic, it handled terrible on the freeway back from Mercedes, I got home and they had the tire pressures at 35 front and back. They probably reset my TPMS because when I set the pressures at 26 Front, 32 Rear, per the door placard, I had to reset the TPMS again.
So, try this on your ED and report back here. I am sure others are having this issue somewhere . Tire pressures are a big deal on smart stability and steering.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks for the detailed reply. I did suspect tire pressure when I noticed the problem so immediately inflated them to factory specs. Did not help. Also my ED does not have TPMS.

I first noticed this with my winter tires. I have since switched back to my all seasons and wheels that came with my 2013 ED and it seems better but not sure it is back to when I bought the car. But I can't really be sure.

Alan

1 - 7 of 7 Posts