Smart Car of America Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Hi All,
I am from South Africa and I own a 2017 Smart ForFour. It’s mainly been used as my city runabout as my other car is a heavy Volvo XC90. It’s been very reliable and it’s relatively cheap to maintain. It’s only been maintained at the Mercedes-Benz dealer and the warranty has expired as of August 2020.

This noise I’ve only recently noticed as I’ve been driving the car more often. It doesn’t happen all too often but mostly when pulling out of a junction or a driveway.

I know these cars can be expensive to fix and it being just out of warranty annoys me. Hopefully it’s a cheap fix as the car has relatively low miles for a 2017 model.

Here is the YouTube video of the noise when pulling into my driveway. 2017 Smart ForFour Steering Noise

Any help would greatly be appreciated. Thanks

·
Registered
639 Posts
Where does the sound appear to be coming from? Is it from the top of the shock absorber?

Check the thrust bearing at the top of the front shock absorbers. You should be able to see them with the hood removed. If the car sat for a while, the bearing may have become dry, resulting in the creaking sound when turning the wheel. If that’s where the noise is coming from, lubricating the bearing should eliminate the sound.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Where does the sound appear to be coming from? Is it from the top of the shock absorber?

Check the thrust bearing at the top of the front shock absorbers. You should be able to see them with the hood removed. If the car sat for a while, the bearing may have become dry, resulting in the creaking sound when turning the wheel. If that’s where the noise is coming from, lubricating the bearing should eliminate the sound.
Thanks. I’m getting the car up on a lift at a buddy’s shop tomorrow so I’ll check for that.

·
Registered
639 Posts
If it’s coming from lower in in the frame, check the ball joints and a-frame joints. Based on your description, something sounds like it’s dried out

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
So I just had it up on a lift, it sounds like it’s coming from inside the rack itself. It only makes the noise when under load either turning left or right. There isn’t any noise when going over uneven roads.

·
Registered
639 Posts
Ooh, sounds like a bad rack assembly. On the 451, the power steering rack assembly is an electric unit that’s sealed and should not require maintenance. It may need to be replaced.

That being said, before you spend cash on a replacement, check the wiring to make sure a furry intruder hasn’t decided the wiring harness for the steering assembly was a good snack, particularly if your car sat idle for an extended period of time.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts