Smart Car of America Forum banner

Steering problems, need advice..

11K views 29 replies 19 participants last post by  Bob Ricewasser 
#1 ·
Hello everyone,
I need some advice and help. I have a 2009 Smart Cabrio with electronic steering. The car is great while in the city, driving under 45 mph, but when I get on the open road and am driving at 55 mph and above, the front end feels like I need an alignment. I have taken the car back to the dealer and they say they have realigned the car, but the problem is still there. The feeling the car has is similar to driving over a metal grate bridge, pulling from side to side while driving in a straight line. It is so bad that I am constantly moving the steering wheel 1" to 2" trying to correct the track while driving. Has anyone else experienced this problem? Would putting wider tires in the front help it to track better? I know this is a small car, but my old Geo Metro Convertible held the road great with no front end unstable feelings. I have to say this is the only thing I hate about this car. Everything else is just great and I love driving it otherwise. Thanks in advance for the advice...
Ryan

#29 ·
I have the exact same problem with my Smart Fortwo 2011
When I drive at more than 90-100 km/h, the steering of my Smart Fortwo 2011 becomes very soft / "loose", so I no longer feel in control and it looks like the car no longer sticks to the road.
If I move the steering wheel slightly, for example, to change lanes, I have to hold my steering wheel with both hands because it looks like the movement is amplified and I have to bring the steering wheel right away. It's scary!
I also have this feeling of loss of control when there are ruts on the road that make the slightest vibration on the steering wheel amplify the movement.
Same problem when there is a bit of wind or if I have to pass a tractor-trailer.
Has your problem been fixed?
I had another 2011 Smart Fortwo before and I had no problem with it. I loved it! I could drive 140 km/h without realizing it .... for this reason, I was putting the cruise control at 120 km/h so I would not get a speed ticket. I had also no problem when it was windy or if I had to pass a big truck.
Thank you for your suggestions

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.