Smart Car of America Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
861 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
i'll go on record stating i prefer the old style steering setup. easy, to steer, repairs easy to make and will last a lifetime if maintained. i owned a civic and cruiser and the cars were constantly drifting and pulling even tho the alignment was always perfect. then it dawned on me the other day that these cars have rack and pinion too and they don't drift or pull. now that could be due to the smaller wheels or the narrow front track or the outrigger wheelbase. but either way it is a joy to drive a car the drives like the older american cars.

·
Registered
896 Posts
How is the search going for your replacement rims?

Would replacing your front rims and tires with wider ones change what you like about the current handling of your smart?

·
Registered
861 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
yes. i want to put some 195/55 or 50s on there. i asked if he would consider removing the tires and sending me the rims since i will put new rubber on there and don't need to pay the crazy freight for tires i'm just going to throw away. then i asked him if he would consider meeting me in Ft Walton or Pensacola to help him on some of the distance i would have to drive. he never answered. if he said he would noth then i would ask him if i paid to remove the tires would he ship me the rims (two rims bare would cost about the same as one wheel and tire).

·
Registered
729 Posts
Not sure about the civic, but the PT is big on torque steer.

I had a 2003 PT Cruiser GT (turbo) with 227whp/281wtq and it could change lanes if you step on it without holding the wheel tight. FWD cars pull double duty. It's the drive wheels and steering wheels.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

·
Registered
861 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
i'm not talking about torque steer just about driving along and both cars are either pulling or drifting because of rack and pinion (alignment is dead on, tires are properly inflated and all steering components are in optimal condition)

how did you have 227hp, my 03 was 215 from the factory....bone stock

if Mr Bumpy won't work with me i may just stick with the 4.5s. would a 165/50 fit on the wheel(i know, thats going to be a hard tire to find)

·
Registered
922 Posts
...alignment is dead on...
A "dead on" alignment costs about $150-200. If you are extremely lucky, you may get an alignment that is "good enough" at a chain auto repair shop. I've had a significant number of different cars over the years and have never failed at getting one to track straight or steer correctly. This includes a 2008 Civic that is my daughter's car. That has to be one of the better steering, FWD economy cars made during that time.

·
Registered
729 Posts
how did you have 227hp, my 03 was 215 from the factory....bone stock

I was far from stock. Mine stock was also rated at 215hp at the crank which turned out to be more along the lines of 170-180 at the wheels and torque was also only around 200 at the wheels. The 227hp and 281tq were at the wheels on same dyno that I got my stock numbers from.

·
Registered
861 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
nice!! what was that silver tube next to the battery?

i was going to put a stage one kit on and set it up for water injection but just never got around to it.

we bought ours in Sept 02. it was 2 days off the truck from the factory and was the first turbo and electric blue in Orlando.....boy did i get the looks and questions for several weeks.

after it was broke in i ran it against my 85 Monte Carlo SS and 93 IROCZ (both had minor mods...roller rockers, duals, bigger secondarys and the list goes on). but you know what i beat them in the quarter mile every time and my son had better reaction time than me. boy did the people flock around me in the pits when i was letting the motor cool down. of all things, a PT beating an SS and IROCZ....preposterous!

·
Registered
729 Posts
nice!! what was that silver tube next to the battery?

i was going to put a stage one kit on and set it up for water injection but just never got around to it.

we bought ours in Sept 02. it was 2 days off the truck from the factory and was the first turbo and electric blue in Orlando.....boy did i get the looks and questions for several weeks.

after it was broke in i ran it against my 85 Monte Carlo SS and 93 IROCZ (both had minor mods...roller rockers, duals, bigger secondarys and the list goes on). but you know what i beat them in the quarter mile every time and my son had better reaction time than me. boy did the people flock around me in the pits when i was letting the motor cool down. of all things, a PT beating an SS and IROCZ....preposterous!

I had:

Mopar stage 1 pcm and injectors,

Diablosport Predator (hand held programmer/tuner) with the canned 93 octane tune,

Full set of Hard pipes by AMXJim (fastest PT in South Florida, now has a AMG swapped crossfire srt) hard pipes (the silver pipe with HKS Blowoff valve beside Battery) one from air box to turbo, one from turbo to hot side of intercooler, and cold side to throttle body (the one you see)

3" o2 housing,

3" downpipe with electric cutout

Solid motor mounts

modified air box with k&n filter.

Sorry for rambling on. I really miss that car. Lol.

·
Registered
861 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
thanks, i think i remember reading about your car. i bet you do miss it. why did you sell it. sounds like you did alot of research on the mods

1 - 13 of 13 Posts