Smart Car of America Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
49 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Lately my '08 451 feels like it wants to steer itself. It seems to sway left and right at random without any input from the steering wheel, and I have to constantly correct it. I'm afraid I look like I'm drunk to anyone behind me. Driving 45mph+ can be scary-wobbly sometimes with any wind at all to influence it

This is accompanied by the fact my car likes to pull slightly to the right at all times... but lately its getting more sloppy and "loose" feeling. Additionally, whenever I hit bumps I feel like the direction of my car is completely thrown off (though I've come to accept this as a normal thing thanks to the short wheelbase). I've been waiting for the weather to get a bit better before I take a day off to drive it to a dealership, which I'm sure is going to rape my wallet @ 62k miles, but I'd like to know what the cause of this might be so I can check it myself first

·
Registered
1,635 Posts
Lately my '08 451 feels like it wants to steer itself. It seems to sway left and right at random without any input from the steering wheel, and I have to constantly correct it. I'm afraid I look like I'm drunk to anyone behind me. Driving 45mph+ can be scary-wobbly sometimes with any wind at all to influence it
Things to check:

Wheels tight. Tires properly inflated, not badly worn and not separated internally. Steering not worn, free to move at the tie rod joints and not bent. Steering rack properly secured to chassis. Front strut bearings free to pivot. Lower control arms not worn and free to pivot at the ball joints. Alignment correct both front and rear.

·
Registered
72 Posts
I had these symptoms when my tires were worn, and I replaced TWO tires and not the others. I even went to MB service, and they drove it and couldn't find what was the problem. I replaced the other TWO tires, and..... prob solved. It seems that when you replace tires, the compliance is SO different that you should just replace all of them.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts