Smart Car of America Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
King of Smart Gadgetry
1,075 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
In my never ending quest to turn my lowly Pure into a Passion clone......>:D..... I am contemplating replacing my "pure" 2 spoke steering wheel with a three spoke "passion" wheel. Has anyone tried this? Will the air bag from the 2 spoke fit the 3 spoke? I can't really tell from pictures if it will or not. They look really similar.
Also if I did do this, will the addition of the shift paddles set the CAN-Bus system crazy with codes? I figure the shift paddle would have to be dealer activated (if this is even possible), or would they just work if I installed them?
The price of even a used air bag on Ebay is really expensive and most used steering wheels on Ebay don't come with air bags because the wheels come from wreck Smarts and I figure in most wrecks the air bag is deployed.

·
Registered
2,949 Posts
Air bags have a life expectancy. I'd try to buy a new one. I got cruise control instead of paddles. I think it was one or the other....

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

·
Registered
163 Posts
you can reuse the airbag.. i recently bought a steering that has paddle shift for like 70$.. installed it reusing my airbag (car is a 2015). Stock clock spring is compatible with paddle shifters so i reused it .. once everything plugged in i just had to make a trip to the dealer for the activation!

·
Registered
103 Posts
Hi

From a brief summary of your post you were able to add a 3 spoke with paddles to a car without paddles?

I have a 2011 without paddles and just purchased a 3 spoke wheel complete with paddles and airbag, so it should be 2 plugs and 1 bolt to change them?

Then do I just go to dealer bend over and pay him???

1 - 6 of 6 Posts