Smart Car of America Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
278 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Took my Smart in last Friday as the steering wheel was off center, noise coming from front end, and had problems shifting and the shifter handle popping.
1. Steering wheel off center and noise was caused by both tie rods being loose. Somehow the nuts backed off. They repaired it and performed an alignment, the issue with the alignment is they didn't have any spec"s from Smart on the requirements so used WIS whatever that is. It is fixed now and travels straight.
2. There was a problem with the shifter being out of spec. They replaced the knob and shifter rod. The shifter lever does shifter smoother.
3. While there they also did the ESP update (also posted by another member) and the shifting of the gears seems to be smoother then before. :D

·
Registered
11 Posts
I brought my 2016 Smart to Seattle for the same 'steering wheel off center' and noise from the front end and was informed there is now a technical bulletin out on a front end part that needs to be replaced. They didn't tell me exactly what it was, but if I find out, I'll let you know. They didn't have the part on hand, as it's a newer bulletin, and has to be ordered from Germany.

·
Registered
278 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Please let know, would be interesting to know what they do. Was told my tie rods were loose. It's been okay since I've gotten it back.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

·
Registered
79 Posts
Mine is just so slightly off center and I plan on asking them to do an alignment on my next oil change visit. The driving however seems perfect and it doesn't seem to pull to either side.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts